Archinect
anchor

Billing for interiors job

alicelong

Hello,

I am a graduate with 1 year's experience in education. 

Recently, I got a interiors job from a relative, about 150sqm. I have never done interiors before and was wondering how the job would be priced up in terms of deliverables and work hours. So far I've had a meeting with the client and they want to see a number of design options per room. I have established a list of deliverables for SD.

How would you calculate the initial fee for SD in this case?

Example: 5 rooms x 3 design options each x time/option x hourly rate?

Then renew fee for additional SD hours until design freeze?

Also, what deliverables count as DD in a job like this?

As part of the work, I 'll have to browse for products for my proposal (furniture, plumbing fixtures, kitchen, finishes). In interior jobs does this fall within SD or next phases?

Some input from a resi architect or interiors designer would be greatly appreciated, as I only have large scale education experience but would love to take this job on!

Also this is for a relative which means I will get paid for the job but I don't think that a contract is required.

Thank you!

Dec 14, 19 4:59 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 3 Comments

BulgarBlogger

To get this super right (if you had a formal office) have to calculate your actual hourly rate, which is based on a lot of things such as office expenses, fringe benefits, profit etc. You then figure out your multiplier. Also a bit involved (partially based on efficiency; arch firms have an average efficiency factor of 0.6) Then you multiply your actual hourly rate by your multiplier to figure out your billable rate (note that this is higher than your actual hourly rate). Since the billable rate will most-likely be some uneven number, round it to the nearest hundred of twenty five dollars. So if your calculated billable rate is $117- round up to 125. If your calculated billable rate is $143, round up to $150. If your calculated billable rate is $181, round up to $200. And so on. You calculate the total amount of hours it would take you to do the work and you multiply that by your calculated billable rate. What you can do for family is give them a family discount that is expressed as a percentage of your calculated billable rate. 

Dec 14, 19 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
( o Y o )

Don’t take a job that you are not cable of doing.
Don’t work without a contract.
Don’t work for relatives.
Don’t ask for advice on the internets. 

I think that pretty much covers it.

You’re welcome.

Dec 14, 19 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

+1

Dec 14, 19 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
apkouv

@ (OYO) , makes me wonder how much money you 've made in your career.

Dec 15, 19 4:14 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

I'd say a lot more than if (oYo) hadn't followed the guidelines they posted.

Dec 16, 19 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Your price needs to be low because you are completely inexperienced in the type of work your client needs.

Dec 16, 19 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: