Archinect
anchor

What is this houses architectural style???

dennishobson

If anyone can help me identity the architectural style of this house, I would greatly appreciate it.  The house was built in 1885 in south western New York state. 

Nov 30, 19 10:27 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 11 Comments

Non Sequitur

Another slimy realtor?

Nov 30, 19 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
TIQM

Early Builder’s Victorian. 

Dec 1, 19 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

To narrow it down further it appears to be a 'Folk Victorian' which was a development of the classic American farmhouse. They were popular from 1880 to 1910. Some farmhouse owners went down to the local millright shop and added some of the details as they thought best. 

Here is a Folk Victorian in Middletown, VA. 

Dec 1, 19 7:17 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Beautiful!

Dec 1, 19 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
dennishobson

I purchased this home and am in the process of trying to restore it,  so your help is greatly appreciated. 

Dec 1, 19 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Folk Victorians come in a couple of flavors. Here is one style that is all over the Shenandoah Valley. I like your style better, though. Good luck with it. 

Dec 1, 19 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

The confusing thing about terms like "builder Victorian" and "folk Victorian" is that "Victorian" is not a house style, but a time period. During the Victorian era, several different styles were popular: first Greek Revival, then Gothic Revival, Italianate, Stick Style, Mansard, Queen Anne, Romanesque, and maybe others I'm forgetting, more or less sequentially in order, with Shingle Style bringing an end to the style and transitioning to the Craftsman style that was popular following the Victorian era. Things back then were different from today--while we have many house styles to choose from, people in the 1800s generally built in the style that was fashionable at the time. 

To me, the age and style of the house looks Italianate in origin, but without some of the identifying details that a high-style Italianate would include. Here in New England it would be called a "New Englander," popular for housing factory workers. But New Englander isn't a style any more than anything with the word "Victorian" is a style.

Dec 2, 19 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Modernist.

Dec 2, 19 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Not Victorian, minimal detail / no gingerbread. Maybe some flourishes inside? Likely a builder’s house from a specific period with lots of similar structures in the same area. When was it built? I’m guessing 1940’s. 

Watch out for snow against the windows where they sit tight to a roof.

Dec 2, 19 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
dennishobson

This house was built in 1885

Dec 10, 19 1:15 am  · 
 · 
dennishobson

My home was built in 1885

Dec 10, 19 1:22 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This web site gives 10 pages of 'Folk Victorian' examples as well as multiple pages of the other Victorian styles and other popular styles such as Georgian, Federal, Greek Revival, ect. 

https://www.oldhousedreams.com...

Dec 2, 19 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
cheryllassiter

please help identify the style of this building, esp. the belfry. Thank you!

Dec 4, 19 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I see at least three 'styles'.

Dec 4, 19 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
cheryllassiter

Thank you for your helpful comment.

Dec 4, 19 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nice cars

Dec 4, 19 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Hahah that building is awesome and hilarious.

Dec 5, 19 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

That building was originally a congregational church, and later a town hall, and sometimes a temporary school, in Hampton, New Hampshire. The original "bones" of it were pretty standard New England Federal meeting house type thing, but it got... elaborated on... a lot along the way. The dome was pretty much just a 4-sided mansard cupola with some eyebrows-and-acorns medallions tacked on, but the proportions are so squished in plan and stretched upward that it kind of turned into looking Mughal and/or Russian influenced.

Dec 5, 19 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, if the city fathers had really wanted a civic building with a round dome they could have squeezed the budget a little more

Dec 5, 19 7:10 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Pasadena City Hall. It's really a magnificent building.

Dec 12, 19 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
cheryllassiter

Squished look...that pretty much describes it. I imagine poor George G. Adams pulling out his hair trying to appease the unappeasable, and finally producing that tower as his revenge. It is unique and one of a kind, to say the least.

Dec 5, 19 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: