Archinect
anchor

Job Interview Questions

2014March

I recently had a job interview at a young architectural firm. They asked me the typical question,  "why I want to work for the company?". However, my answer had sounded rather generic to them, so they told me that they wanted to know more about my motivation in working for this particular firm in the 2nd interview. Any suggestions on how to ace this interview process?

Nov 24, 19 11:48 am

1 Featured Comment

All 3 Comments

Bloopox

Do as much research as you can about the firm.  Try to go beyond just their website, and talk to people who currently work there or have previously worked there, look that the firm's projects and visit some if there are any near you, search for any articles or other publicity that this firm has garnered.  Then formulate your thoughts about what unique things about this firm are the reasons that you want to work for them.  Once you've identified your reasons, work on being able to phrase them as reasons that you will be useful to the firm, and a good fit.  

Nov 24, 19 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

what you are thinking: because I need money and you are the best firm I have a decent chance of getting a job at. 

What you say: I'm intrigued by the way your work addresses x and y issues, learning more about and participating in x and y aspects of your design culture, and being able to contribute my x and y unique skills which I think mesh well with your work and benefit the firm.

Nov 24, 19 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Featured Comment
Archinect

Check out these articles we've published:

The Secret Nature of The Job Interview

The Architecture Job Application Hints & Suggestions from Employers

And our "How to get a job at _______" series of interviews with in-demand firms about what they look for when interviewing job applicants.

Nov 25, 19 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: