Archinect
anchor

How much does it help having family in the industry?

scottmorrison

I have a Masters of Fine Arts Degree and finished top in my class. Because its obviously nearly impossible to find work as an acadmeic with a decent salary, regardless of grades and current connections, I'm looking at pursuing architecture.

This was my second choice for a profession when I was younger. I loved it at school and my uncle is an architect; now I'm thinking about a career change and architecure is on my radar.

I've been looking at every field, but I know that arch is probably the most viable path for me to take if I want to be involved in problem solving, and even small aspects of the design process; I know it's in reality only a small part of the job, with serious hours and stress.

I'm 28, and will be 35 by the time I have my degree - maybe 40 by the time I'm licensed.

As my uncle is an architect with his own company, with four other employees, I wonder how much of an advantage this could give me. He'll give me CAD work to do during study, and maybe a job afterwards. Havent discussed this with him yet as its early days and itd be disrespectful of me.

Who here has family connections in architecture, and how much did it help?

Nov 24, 19 9:08 pm
Non Sequitur

Maybe ask your uncle instead of some random internet wankers.

You need to take a hard look at the day-to-day work load most architects do and compare that to your expectations.  

Nov 24, 19 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

well if you want to work in a five person office with your uncle, that connection very likely helps. more than that really depends on how connected your uncle is, how good you are at this, and how much he cares.

my wife is an architect, and i'll admit her connections led me to my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th jobs. Number 5 was a recruiter, and number 1 was through an ex gf in college. and my dad's high school buddy was an architect who interviewed me for a job i declined (low pay).

So connections matter, but they're not that hard to find if you get along with people and do respectable work. don't base your decision on this factor.

Nov 25, 19 6:19 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

"Because its obviously nearly impossible to find work as an academic with a decent salary . . . "

Same is true for architecture, or so I've been told . . . 

Nov 25, 19 9:34 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I had a family member who was an architect, the plan was to take over the firm. The family member retired half way through my degree and dissolved the firm. We talked it over beforehand and I was fine with it, it encouraged me to get out there and make my own path.

Nov 25, 19 11:54 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"I'm 28, and will be 35 by the time I have my degree" 

Why are you assuming it's going to take 7 more years to get your degree?

Nov 25, 19 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It can hurt.  You may decide you want to move on, but find yourself trapped at your uncle's firm.  Some firms are wary of hiring people who get their start with relatives, because of the worry that they've developed an attitude of entitlement and will be difficult to work with, and that they've probably been coddled and failed to learn as much as people who aren't related to their boss. Case in point: that guy who persisted with his challenge over another local architect's license credentials even years after the other architect was dead, because he was so incensed by someone else encroaching on what he felt was his rightful inherited architectural kingdom, as the 2nd generation of what had previously been the only local firm. 

Nov 25, 19 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

It’s tough to summarize what it’s like working with family.  Depends on the relationship.  My father, sister, cousin, brother in-law and I are all architects.  My other sister and mom worked for the family firm with my Dad and I.  Basically, I’d say it is both a pro and con; you will always have that family relationship and whatever it is like, tends to crossover into your professional life.  So, I liked my little sister’s take on the family business… “I always got the hump in the middle of the backseat and never a window seat.”  So since she wanted her window seat or be the driver, she didn’t join the firm.  I joined… but it was always the passenger or felt like taking Dad’s car for a drive when I took over. 

But my story is vastly different than the OP could expect.  I was on construction sites in elementary school helping my Dad measure and/or do field observations… basically; I’ve had a mentor since birth.  But you can’t shave off the Dad… “Your hair is unprofessional… clean your desk, it’s a pig sty… I told you two weeks ago we were going to meet with this client, now get in the car.”  Sure you probably laugh… but when you are 30, married with children, a licensed professional with 15 employee’s hearing this…. It is unlike any normal job.

Nov 25, 19 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: