Archinect
anchor

Becoming a Licensed Architect vs Architectural Engineer?

architrekkie

So I am considering my career path, and trying to determine which suits my goals best. The reason I'm considering these two pathways is because I do architectural drafting, and I want to become more involved in the design of buildings. My background is environmental science so I have a particular interest in sustainability. Here is what I am considering so far:

Licensed Architect: Complete 3.5 yr M.Arch program. Complete ~1400 hrs of AXP internship work experience. Take the ARE to become licensed. Look for jobs as an architect.

Architectural Engineer: Take 3 pre-requisites (before graduation). Complete 1-1.5 yr masters of science in architectural engineering. Look for jobs as an architectural engineer.

Am I missing any considerations? Am I overlooking any important aspects? Is there another option I haven't considered?

Thank you :)

Nov 21, 19 1:46 pm
architrekkie

I have a BS in Envi Sci and Policy. So non-architecture and non-engineering. The person I spoke to is the Executive Director of Professional Licensing Boards at the MD Dept of Labor so I hope he is not wrong! But perhaps I will reach out to someone else tomorrow to double check his information. From what I read, there are 3 options - none of which specify whether a non-eng bach + eng masters would qualify as “equivalent” to any of their education requirements - which is why I reached out. For reference, here is where I read the requirements: http://www.labor.maryland.gov/license/pe/peexampe.shtml

Nov 21, 19 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

What you want to look for is a AE program that is both ABET and NAAB accrediated.  Then you run the internship concurrently; they closely align.  And get your Architectural and Structural Engineering license.  There are few out there...

Nov 22, 19 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

As was already stated each state may have different 'alternative' paths to obtaining an architectural license, which is the path you'd have to take with an AE degree.  It's important to note that the these 'alternative' paths are rather long (10 plus years experience), do not offer reciprocity (have to redo the process and experience for each state), and are NOT accepted by every state.

A degree from an accredited architectural program has reciprocity and requires a person to go the IDP (experience phase) only once.  

Nov 22, 19 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: