Archinect
anchor

NCARB candidate lapsed record fee...

0L0ID

I had a discussion with colleagues earlier today about the cost of maintaining NCARB records, and it quickly became apparent that none of us knew what it really is. 

The way I understand it - if you stop paying your fees, your record expires (I guess it just gets frozen), and for every year that you don't pay, it costs an additional $85, so for example if you go on for 5 years = 85x5 = $425. 

But then there is this blurb from NCARB's fees page:

(also found here in case the image fails:

https://www.ncarb.org/fees

)

It seems that the maximum they'll penalize you is $185, which is as if they stop counting after 2 years.

So, my question is, what is the real cost of putting your licensure on hold for say 5 years? is it $85 per year for as long as you're lapsing, or does it cap off at $185?

Nov 1, 19 4:33 pm
Bloopox

The $85/$185 is for unlicensed people.

If you already have a license, then reactivating costs all of the back years of unpaid dues, plus the $250 "reactivation fee", up to $1100. 

Usually the reason people reactivate is because they've decided to apply for reciprocity in a state that requires transmittal of an NCARB record - so on top of the years of back dues and the reactivation fee there's also the +/- $400 transmittal fee at that same time.  

The break-even point for where it becomes more cost-effective to let the certification lapse is about 5 years.  But there can be a time cost, as the reactivation alone can take weeks to months, before the transmittal wait time and the other state's processing time for reciprocity, so if you're trying to reactivate because you need reciprocity for a project opportunity or a job in another state, that may be inconvenient at that point.

Nov 1, 19 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I forgot to explain that once you get licensed, assuming that you have an NAAB accredited degree and did IDP/AXP, NCARB won't transmit your record unless you become NCARB-certified, and the certification dues are $225/year - that's why the break-even point is around 5 years.

Also if you maintain your record continuously until you get licensed, then there's no fee for the NCARB-certificate application, and there is a discount for your first years of certification.  But if you let your license lapse then there's another fee for that application, and full dues.

Nov 1, 19 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

You could call NCARB to verify but it should be capped at $185 to reactivate your record after taking your break (pre-licensure). You will also miss out on the free application, free first year, and reduced second year of the NCARB Certificate upon licensure, if I'm understanding everything correctly. Which, depending on your plans to get reciprocity after initial licensure, may or may not be an issue for you.

"Licensure candidates who maintain an active NCARB Record will not have to pay a separate application fee and will receive their first year of certification free, plus half off the annual renewal fee for their second year.

Nov 1, 19 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
0L0ID

thank you both for your responses.

I guess to clarify my question a bit - I Do have an NCARB record that I maintained for about 6 years - but I stopped paying the fees about 2 years ago because I'm looking to potentially switch fields. What I want to know is if after about say, 5-6 years if I decide to go back and start taking exams, will it cost me just $185 or is it going to be a whole bunch of other things on top?

Nov 1, 19 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

It should just be $185 to reactivate your record. Note this could change at any point, but I would expect it to stay close to the concept they follow currently "the cost of the application plus one annual renewal." 

The only other thing on top of that you should expect at, or around, the same time is the cost to schedule your first exam. If you have passed any exams up to this point, you'll potentially lose some or all of them because of the rolling clock. Just something else to consider that could add to your overall costs if you have to retake any exams you've already passed.

Nov 1, 19 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: