Archinect
anchor

what extra work should i do to get an AT job ??

nibuil

Hello guys, First time to post here...but really need some help....

I have graduated as an architectural technologist from my 2 years diploma for like 6 months in my local city in Canada, seems i have tried everything that i could to land a solid job offer, like pin-point accuratelypolishing my resume, portfolio, cover letter to the job posting, even i personally visit and bring my portfolio and resume to hand over to the hiring manager in my local company....but mostly have no response......

I always thought that this profession have lot of competitiveness in job market, and seems that not that demanding in the market..    it suggested me never to beg them a job, but actually that's what i supposed to do ........

By the way, seems this profession needs good mouth-to-mouth reputation, but i am not a very social network guy,because i knew that you need to provide your value and benefit to them, then you can get some good feedback, but for a new graduate , i hardly have those reputation and substantial value to them,...so i always struggling on what extra work should i do to leave a better impression to the employers? 

so any idea ?

Thanks 

Oct 28, 19 4:09 pm
Non Sequitur

What city are you looking in?

There is looooooaads of work in many cities right now... but you need experience because very few offices have time to train fresh grads. Unfortunately. So you need to show potential employers that you can produce and complete basic technical drawings without much supervision.  If your portfolio is nothing but glossy renderings, then you're not really worth their time if they need production staff... for example.

Punctuation and sentence structure also help. 

Oct 28, 19 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
nibuil

Hi: thanks for the replying and letting me know your suggestion. maybe i should change my portfolio with lot of construction drawing examples but very few renderings? anyway, what I m thinking is that they always hiring Intermediate/senior AT, but as a newly graduate student , it should start somewhere then after couple months then become to be productive ? because so far as i know a lot of the so-called senior/intermediate AT, they must start as junior AT. So as you said, if i don't have any opportunities to get trained now then i will be totally no chance to get hired even few years later? so how do i get myself trained without any formal job/project in order to be competitive in the job market ? thanks for any suggestions.

Oct 28, 19 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
nibuil

Oct 28, 19 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

AT college is expected to give you enough foundation knowledge to start without real world experience. Perhaps you need to widen your search to large A&E office, general contractors, or even trades who need shop drawings. Tonnes of options si it’s very hard to believe that any fresh grad above mediocre isn’t able to secure entry level work. Post your folio and maybe you’ll get useful pointers.

Oct 28, 19 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
nibuil

Hi: actually, you are right, I already had fundamental knowledge of AT from my local college, and i have tried so many companies from small to large,

Oct 28, 19 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
nibuil

but AT job is quite situational and different companies have different standards, so not sure which one will offer me the job.

Oct 28, 19 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm starting to think that your portfolio is just one side of a multi-sided coin here.

Oct 28, 19 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
nibuil

hi, actually beside my portfolio thing, i forgot to mention that i used to have few years electrical engineering working experience background, that's why i considered myself as a career transitioning at this moment,... But still, you know, not sure how the employers will look at my career profile though....

Oct 28, 19 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: