Archinect
anchor

Anxious to try and seek a new job?

TedMosby

Hello everyone,

Long story short, I am still very young (and approaching the end of my schooling soon, then on to grad school hopefully) and have been at a firm for about a year and a half now on breaks from school. There are definitely pros and cons to this work place for me. Some pros being it is so small, I get constant one-on-one education and it is helping me move forward in my career, and we use programs that I am very familiar/experienced with. There are a lot of cons however: it is TOO small (only two other employees, both my bosses), the atmosphere is not ideal for me, we do projects that I am not hoping to continue down for the rest of my life, and basically I'm always dreading work and am not happy. Plus I'm fantasizing about having actual coworker friends or a community of people around me while working that make me excited to go into work and actually design.

Based on what I just told you, you're probably thinking "why can't you see you should apply to other places???" Well, I am very, very new to revit and I am worried that it would severely hinder my abilities to perform in a new firm that actually uses it. Between the miles of education and learning I still have to go, mixed with extremely basic knowledge of revit, I'm very hesitant and frankly worried.

Has anyone gone down a similar path like this or have any advice? I am very grateful to have a job in the first place, but at some point I'm wondering if I would be healthier and happier somewhere else. Thank you very much for all your time.

Oct 2, 19 12:46 pm
threeohdoor

My program had no revit component, and if you showed up to a crit with a file that wasn't from either rhino, maya, max, etc, you'd get architecture shamed, which is the worst form of shame*. When they gave me a degree and the boot, I didn't really have any "marketable" skills, or so I thought. You realize right quick that if you can think critically, pick up new information quickly, and be dependable, you are already head and shoulders above the competition. 

Just apply to places, be "relatively" honest about your digital drawing skills, and put on display your other attributes that might impress potential employers. No one in the history of jobs has shown up to work day one and said, "I am all that is Architect". You figure this stuff out on the fly. Lucky you, we live in an age where tutorials, tips, tricks, and FAQs are prevalent online. Once you get a job, you'll be forced to figure out work flows and because of the pressure, you'll learn quick!

As a rule, unless woefully insufficient, never assume you can't meet the expectations of a job posting. Most people writing those things don't really have an idea of what they're after anyhow. So meet in the middle and, t'dah! Employment.

Good luck.

*it's not.

Oct 2, 19 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
GridBubbles

Learn it on the fly. I thought I knew enough about Revit after using it in school, nope not the case. The industry uses Revit differently than how you would in academia anyways. Youtube, forums and google will be your friend. Fake it till you make it, just like the rest of the workforce.

Oct 2, 19 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Little rant:

It's not your school's job to teach your any computer programs, that's your responsibility.  That being said if your school is requiring you to use a specific program for an assignment then they better damn well show you the ropes, or at least have part of the assignment be to learn said program.

End rant

As for your concerns about going after a new position with little Revit experience, don't worry about it.  Any good firm will be willing to teach you on the job.  If they are not they typically will something like 'must be proficient in Revit' in the job posting. Just be honest about your skill level in an interview.  

You got this!  

Oct 2, 19 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

A professional degree program that should prepare you for the architecture profession doesn't need to teach you professional programs that said profession uses. Take a ceramics class and read some Deleuze.

Oct 2, 19 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: