Archinect
anchor

Need help identifying a piece of architecture from a film

LukaStojcic

Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I am not aware of any other architecture forums. I'm writing a film review and would like to be able to refer to the piece of architecture the woman is resting her hand on to accurately describe a visual metaphor!

This still is from The Haunting (1963) and the (haunted) house/mansion was, per the story, built in 1873 in New England, if that helps.

Would be infinitely grateful for any ideas of what this (column?) could be!

Thanks,

Luka

Oct 1, 19 2:41 am
Anon_grad2.0

She slowly rested her hand on the concrete that was split....not unlike the toes of a camel

Oct 1, 19 9:43 am  · 
 · 
poop876

They used the exterior of Ettington Park for the film, however the interior was recorded in a studio. I think the studio designer used some of the elements of Ettington and introduced it on the interior such as the detail of the arch and the buttress of the arch.

Oct 1, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
MDWed

Concur with ‘poop876’ (never thought I would write that); the building is currently the Ettington Park Hotel, Alderminster, Warwickshire.  Originally, a Tudor style mansion with Palladian embellishments, the structure was transmuted in the 19th century by John Prichard, at the time partnered with John Pollard Seddon (some dispute the Project’s partnership).

Source: https://thecastlelady.wordpres...

Regarding the “column”, it appears to be a stylized neo gothic, engaged, compound pier, with a sloped water table (seemingly buttressing an arch).

Below is a comparison view of the element in question:

MDWed

Oct 1, 19 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
LukaStojcic

Awesome, thank you guys all so much for your help! 

Oct 1, 19 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: