Archinect
anchor

Architects, how do you feel about about a client bringing you a floorplan to alter/finish?

keimach

As in, the potential client has already created the floor-plan they want through some basic house-plan editor, and pay you the full amount for whatever you charge just to do the roof and make sure the plan is structurally sound/give any suggestions?

I am not an architect, but I design floor plans as a hobby. I spent several months tweaking a particular design, based on walk-ability, maximizing space efficiency, keeping sunlight on south face/storage on north face. I am very happy with the end result, and I would like to see the plan built into a long term home. However, I obviously don't understand the nitty gritty details a professional would. I know to even consider having the home built I would have to go to an architect to have it altered for feasibility--but I don't know if it would be offensive to approach an architect with a design to be altered/finished, even if I pay the full amount.

Any thoughts on this? 

Sep 30, 19 10:05 pm
Non Sequitur

double your fees. 

Sep 30, 19 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I don't think many architects would be offended, but some may shy away because it can be hard to convince clients like you that their design could be better in some way. Your plan may be brilliant, but it also likely represents 100% of the homes you have designed, so you have fallen in love with it. Compare that to an architect who has designed hundreds (or more likely thousands) of floor plans and home designs and understands a lot of fine points that can be hard to convey to a novice.

There are also plenty of architects who will take their fee and do what you need done. But the end result may not be as spectacular as it could be with a more cohesive design process. 

I'd say go ahead and try--my clients often bring me concepts--but don't be offended if they are either not interested or want to go back a step and work through their normal process. 

Oct 1, 19 8:47 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I wouldn't be offended but, as Wood Guy mentioned, I would make it clear that part of the design process would involve reviewing and discussing your floor plan, and there might be changes.

If you want someone to literally just take your floor plan and run with it, you want a drafting service, not an architect.

Oct 1, 19 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: