Archinect
anchor

Getting Licensed in California

bullblonky

I got an internship to work for an architect in high school (2005). I got hired on and worked for him through college (2005-2009) and during the recession, dabbled in other things. I didn't go to college for architecture and never ended up finishing or getting my bachelor's degree. I got hired back on a couple years ago and am just curious if anyone knows when I can start to apply to get my license or if I even can. I live in California. I started an NCARB record, but honestly, I don't know what to do with it or where to start? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Sep 10, 19 7:27 pm
atelier nobody

You can apply when you have a total of 5 years verified work experience under a licensed architect - your part time work while in school will count, but obviously not at 1:1 (I think there's a formula to convert part time hours to full time "years" for credit). There are some other things that can give you "credit" toward this (e.g. working for a contractor or engineer) but most or all of them only give you half credit, and have a maximum you can apply.

Once they've confirmed you are eligible, you will then need to work a minimum of another 3 years (8 years total), complete the AXP, and pass the ARE and CA Supplemental Exam. I'm not sure if AXP hours worked before the determination of eligibility count. I believe you can take your ARE exams concurrently with the AXP (still after the eligibility determination, of course), but the California Supplemental cannot be taken until both the ARE and AXP are completed and verified.

Sep 10, 19 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

FYI, the handbook does not include the full table of equivalents for education and experience, for that you need to go to the full regulations: https://www.cab.ca.gov/act/ccr/title_16/division_2/article_3/section_117.shtml

Sep 12, 19 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
bullblonky

Thank you, these should definitely help.

Sep 11, 19 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I'm going through that process now, it's way too much red tape

Sep 11, 19 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: