Archinect
anchor

designing interiors as an architect

Archicatman

Im not sure if I want to do a course in architecture or interior design, if I do a bachelor of architecture would I also be able to design the interior of buildings?

Sep 3, 19 9:20 pm
Non Sequitur

Of course you'll be able to.  You won't be able to design buildings if you stick only to interior design.

Sep 3, 19 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square.

Apr 17, 20 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Even in the very few US states (3 at last count?) that require a registered interior designer for some commercial interiors work, a licensed architect is automatically allowed to do that work and/or is automatically qualified to be a registered interior design. 

Sep 4, 19 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Thornton

My close friend made a career as a designer, although he is an architect by education. There were no problems with law and permissions, you just need to try hard to get your first works for the portfolio.

As he explains: an architect is an engineer, a scientist, you need to learn a lot and think even more; and the designer is an artist, for this you first of all need to have talent, need to feel it.

Apr 17, 20 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

A good architect needs all of those skill sets.

Apr 17, 20 10:42 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Seems a post was removed (not mine) but if anyone did see it, a reminder that many of the most renowned interior designers were straight, white men (like most architects for most of the history of the profession). Alexander Girard, Ray and Charles Eames, George Nelson, Frank Lloyd Wright (he's got alot more interiors than skyscrapers after all) and countless others. 

A strange series of examples to make the point that architecture and design have never been more open to explore for people of color, different backgrounds, nations, sexual orientations, etc, and no one should be held back from exploring aspects of design that interest them because of different backgrounds.

Apr 17, 20 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Thank you mods for removing the post in question. Also thanks archanon for posting this.

Apr 17, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I saw the post too. almost responded but happy I did not jump in. Cheers mods.

Apr 17, 20 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

To answer the questions: study architecture. you'll learn more, its more broadly applicable and the best interior designers trained as architects anwyways.

Apr 17, 20 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: