Archinect
anchor

Is 25 too old to start Architecture?

alessandrospadaro

Hello everyone,

here's my thing. I'm 24 right now and just finished my major in Classics which were particularly focused on drawing ancient Architecture. I used a lot of CAD for my master thesis too. In the meanwhile i realized i do really want to go deeper than this and maybe become something like a preservation architect, restorarion architect or architecture historian (anything related to archi would be great actually).

I would necessarely begin next year at 25 though, so i would ask you: is it really too late to realize something like this? Would i be discriminated for my age as soon as im done with uni looking for a job?

Im perfectly aware of hardness of studies and sad wages situations, but i still feel totally convinced and confident, at least in giving a chance.

Last detail, i live in EU (Italy).

Thanks everyone for attention and advice!

Aug 10, 19 9:27 am
Non Sequitur

Italy is probably one of the only places where type of work really matters.  25 is not too old and many people jump into architecture later in life anyways.

Aug 10, 19 9:35 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Although I'd bet that most of the late arrivals made a bunch of money in their first careers and are switching to architecture without the financial burden of student debt, growing family, mortgage, etc. Just a supposition. I can't prove it.

New Yorker magazine used to have ads for Harvard that were obviously aimed at this boutique demographic.

Twenty five is not too old however.

Aug 11, 19 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
AnoushkaAwasthi

As the saying goes“Never too old to learn”.Passion is very important.

Guide to Studying Architecture

Hopefully it helps!

Aug 12, 19 4:18 am  · 
1  · 
shazaaammm

go to notre dame. they have a classics focused architecture program, and as far as i can tell based on my coworkers who went there are good at producing viable workforce contributing folks woo

Aug 12, 19 10:30 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I was 27 with a BA in comparative religion when I got into architecture - best decision I have ever made.

Because money was an issue for me, I went to a 2-year architectural technology school, not an accredited architecture program, and started working as a draftsman. I was able to work my way up from draftsman to eventually become a licensed architect and get "principal" in my job title, but that's not possible everywhere, so if you can afford it, an accredited degree is probably a better option.

Aug 12, 19 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
danielhicks

I was going to make a new forum post asking this but might as well ask here since you mentioned it; I am currently in my third year of my Communications bachelors program but want to pursue Architecture, would a trade school program be best suited for me and my financial situation?

May 22, 22 11:17 am  · 
 · 
danielhicks

I was going to make a new forum post asking this but might as well ask here since you mentioned it; I am currently in my third year of my Communications bachelors program but want to pursue Architecture, would a trade school program be best suited for me and my financial situation?

May 22, 22 11:17 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If your finances will allow it, I would recommend finishing your BA and getting an M.Arch.

If you're in the same situation I was, where another 3 years of university just ain't happening, then, yes, getting a technical college degree or certificate is a way to get a foot in the door of the profession. How far you are able to go from there will vary depending on where you are - I'm in California, where it is still possible for a person without an architecture degree to get licensed on work experience alone, but there are other states in the US where no NAAB-Accredited degree=no licensure, and if you're outside the US my knowledge of the requirements gets pretty fuzzy.

May 23, 22 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 
Liz_Lf

Any profession is fine to start at any age! Except perhaps athletics.. Ballerinas etc. 

Aug 14, 19 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 
username_af

Never too old to learn!

The GSD has an MDes in Critical Conservation if you're interested.

Aug 15, 19 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 
helenaorstem

Italy is probably one of the places where business is really important. 25 not too old, and many people jump to architecture later in life. Of course, make your own plan program well. The things you will be happy in your life will earn more.

Hope to see you in 2020, happy new year!

Cheers!

Aug 28, 19 5:11 am  · 
 · 
IndianaVisions

It's never too late to learn and 25 is quite an energetic age.

Sep 1, 19 5:30 pm  · 
1  · 
ramansingh

Learning is not about age, you can learn in any number of age and it just a number and you are just 24 year old and an energetic person.

Hope to see you can 2020..

Dec 15, 19 6:08 am  · 
 · 
citizen

In some ways, it's too young.  But go for it.

Dec 15, 19 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
archflorida

never too old ! 

Jan 2, 20 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

25 too old? I started when I was twice that - and that was 15 years ago and I'm still working in the profession. - 

May 22, 22 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Yet you're still not an architect and are complaining about how hard the ARE's are . . .

May 23, 22 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I would only say that at this point in medical science and human life span and such, unless you are starting this at 70 and older, it is probably not too late especially if you start when you are under 60 years of age and healthy.  I'd say, if you are 60 then maybe it isn't worth the trouble to get licensed. 70 is probably too late in one's life and career to bother. However, 25, 35, 45, or even 55, you can make a go of it. Of course, you would be a non-traditional student and you would most likely be in an M.Arch program but it may be possible to do it as a B.Arch. In any case, you would want to be working smarter, more efficient, and more decisive than be the dipshits that are constantly working all-nighters every night because they spend too much time doing what is not necessary but time-consuming wastefulness. In which case, they are idiotic. It is not to say you won't do some all-nighters but don't be the person spending all your time all night doing what is not necessary. Start by doing the intelligent thing like getting to know what you are required to do and the criteria of the assignments so you understand what you need to do versus wasting time doing the stuff that is not necessary or is not leading you in the right direction. 

May 22, 22 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I was able to pull it off at 50, because I do distance running every week since age 28, and a strict vegan diet - meditation - you really need to have your life's strategic plans in place before 30 

May 22, 22 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

So at 50 years old you started a profession that 15 years ago had a starting wage of around $30K?  I'm sure your trust fund didn't help at all . . . .

May 23, 22 10:35 am  · 
1  · 

OP, no you are not too old. In fact, just the right age with some experience as a young person who has a developed ambition. Go for it, you seem like to draw plans, elevations, sections, and details. And your curiosity and experience with Classics and history is a big deal.

Restoration architecture is not a rare profession in Meditteranean countries where they historically built a lot of important buildings for their wealthy cultures and empires.
Fast forward, there are many culturally significant 20th century buildings in need of restoration everywhere. 
The past and the future ;) of the restoration architecture is pretty bright only if economies find ways to restore the better times and can allocate more monies for cultural capital however it seems hopeless these days.

I think, build to restore is very different from build to commerce. As a simple comparison, I find the former related to humanities and the latter to supercharged stem+market rate.

May 23, 22 1:06 am  · 
 · 

The OP is probably too old now. This thread is from three years ago. ;P

May 23, 22 10:34 am  · 
 · 

haha, maybe OP has already graduated and currently restoring Naomi Campbell's house on Cleopatra island in Turkey.

May 23, 22 11:15 am  · 
4  · 

I bet they are! :)

May 23, 22 11:54 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

There was a specific question for me in a response upthread - anyone else with experience is welcome to chime in there, of course.

May 23, 22 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
kenchiku

I just graduated with my Masters at 32. Assuming you have no kids, school is way easier when you're older.

Jun 1, 22 6:40 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Of course you're not too old.  Architects don't do their best work until they are over 50 at least.  It takes that long to get good at this.  You have plenty of time. 

Jun 1, 22 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

Just do it

Jun 19, 22 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: