Archinect
anchor

I need help deciding!

meli.donaldson

Hey guys! I just stumbled across this platform and read a few threads but I’m having trouble myself. 

I’m currently a senior in high school and I know I want to major in architecture. I’ve taken dual enrollment classes for design 1 and Architectural drawing and still love it. This summer I went to an architecture camp at my dream school and I’m just so excited to start. However, I don’t know if I’d be accepted. 

I know you guys aren’t the dean of admissions, but can you help me and guesstimate based on your personal experience? Also if you can recommend any other colleges you have in mind that’s be awesome too  

I’m from a highly competitive public high school where 1350 SATs are normal and gpas of 4.9 are common. 

I have a 1120 SAT and 4.4 gpa

I’m also the President of a club I just started at school to raise awareness for an issue that kept hurting people

My architecture teacher agreed to write me a recommendation letter, which I think would help me

My dream school is University of Florida and my back up is Miami dade and fiu. 

If you have any other college recommendations, please comment as well. Any thing helps! Thanks guys!

Aug 10, 19 1:30 am
midlander

why do you need to know if you'll be accepted to apply? just apply.

adopting this attitude will take you much farther in life, regardless if you end up studying architecture.

there are plenty published lists of architecture schools in the USA. Look at them and judge yourself which schools seem suitable for where you want to live and what you want to learn. A bunch of people who don't know you at all can't give useful advice on this.

Be aware if you want to practice as an architect, you'll be at an advantage if you get an accredited degree that will allow you to pursue licensing. Again, there are more than 100 such programs; do a search.

Aug 10, 19 2:01 am  · 
Sitting Duck

Howdy.

I went to UF for Architecture undergraduate. Feel free to send me a pm, I am happy to chat about that experience. I get it if you want to stay in Florida---the Bright Futures scholarship is a phenomenal aid. Because of that alone, I would counter the "go look a list" strategy. As many people have said before me on this forum, I would advocate going to where you get the most money.

UF has only appreciated in value (ranking, national recognition, networking, success, etc.) since I've graduated there. I got in when less than 20% of applicants were accepted, and I've heard it's become that much more competitive. I'm bias, obviously, but I definitely see your interest in it knowing the 'geography' so to speak. Have you previewed the school yet? I know you went to the camp, but the Preview is a great way to ask Admissions what they are looking for in applicants. From what I've read, you have a strong case, but my admissions looked for long-term hobbies/interests.

UF Architecture does have different routes you can take if you are looking to be accredited (City Lab in Orlando, which has a very different culture). There are certainly more architecture schools in Florida, so I would question why just UF and FIU? Why not USF, etc.? There is a lot to unpack here, so just feel free to reach out separately, and of course, best of luck!

Aug 10, 19 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: