Archinect
anchor

ADVICE FOR AN UNDERGRAD ??

wahoo2020
Hello my fellow architects, as I stated in another thread I am a rising 4th year enrolled in a 4 year architecture program and need to prepare myself for applying to grad schools. However, since experimence plays a large role in bettering the chances of admissio, getting hired, and getting licensed, I was wondering if you guys could give an undergrad like myself with no internship experience any advice??

What is a fast and great way to get many AXP hours completed outside of internships?

Are there any architecture programs that could help me complete AXP hours on campus without commuting off campus??

Any extra advice or “hacks” would be wonderful!!!!

Aug 6, 19 12:31 pm
Non Sequitur

There are no shortcuts.

Get a job, read the AXP documents, work on your billable skills.  You don't necessarily need work experience to get into grad school... sure, it helps, but it's not a pre-req.

Aug 6, 19 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

What is a fast and great way to get many AXP hours completed outside of internships?

...why can't you get AXP hours *inside* an internship?

My advice is to take a couple of years to work before you apply to grad school.

Aug 6, 19 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

There is a way to get some easy hours outside of an internship. I won’t say how as they are spelled out very clearly in the AXP Handbook, which the OP should read first.

Aug 6, 19 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Some. Not many.

Aug 6, 19 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

who has time to read these days? It's so much easier to just type in a question and let others do the reading for you.

Aug 6, 19 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
wahoo2020
Is there not a way an undergrad can just submit their personal design/works or studioworks in exchange for AXP hours?
Aug 6, 19 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hahahahaha. personal projects for licensure? Sure man... no supervision required at all for that.

Aug 6, 19 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Man, wouldn't that be something?

Aug 6, 19 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Definitely not. Read the NCARB guide. https://www.ncarb.org/gain-axp-experience/experience-requirements

School doesn't prepare you to be an architect.  Working as an architect prepares you to be an architect.  Also no one cares how far you are in AXP when you apply for grad apps.  Look up a school you're interested in and its application requirements.  Most likely nothing on the application asks you about AXP hours.

Aug 6, 19 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Based on your wahoo name, I'm going to make an assumption you're in Charlottesville.  There are several firms in the area. See if one of them would let you work part time during school. 

Dalgliesh Gilpin Paxton came to Tech while I was there and recruited. Grimm + Parker and VMDO are both decent sized firms in town.  

And as others have said, RTFM. 

Aug 6, 19 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
wahoo2020
Nice!! Thanks for the great advice!!
Aug 6, 19 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Just the fact that you asked if a studio project counts really makes me want to say get an internship. I sense you have very little idea about the role architects actually play. It’s very very different (and more boring) than studio.  You should probably make sure the career is what you want by testing it out before getting a pretty useless masters. 

Aug 6, 19 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: