Archinect
anchor

Traveling Pavilion and multiple municipalities code & zoning regulations

brandon pass

I currently have a rather large traveling pavilion project I am collaborating on with a video artist.  In a nutshell it is an outdoor pavilion with a 360º projection screen at the interior.  The basics space plan and section diagram once considering the projection equipment will yield a +/-50’ radius and likely be in the neighborhood of 40’ tall.  It will have an enclosing skin to keep elements out but will not be conditioned.  I cannot say for certain what the capacity will be but it will likely be in an Assembly classification and will accommodate accessibility and egress accordingly.  I’m attaching below a quick section diagram and a simple 3D array to give a sense of scale.  Granted, this is not the proposed design but an array of the section diagram to gain a sense of the whole.  

I'm seeking any advice regarding how best to approach the design as it relates to designing a singular object that is transportable and capable of being executed in any jurisdiction in the USA (and beyond), be it a rural field in Iowa or in Times Square, NYC.  Clearly I am seeking the most stringent code/zoning/life safety requirements but I am also looking for any experience you, the community, may have had in what portion of any code I might reference as a guide  Clearly ICC, ADA, and general Interstate transportation mins/max but what types of permits have YOU had to get for such structures, what experiences have you encountered.

Pointing me in the direction of actual documents would be great (a circus tent permit....assembly class as well as temporary structure....What is that permit?) but I also love a good story, good or bad as they will all have your sage wisdom embedded. 

Thank you Archinect community

Jul 31, 19 12:07 pm
brandon pass

I should also mention that I have in-hand the following documents as a beginning reference figuring these are the most command and likely the most strict:

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles

State Transportation Websites

New York City Temporary Place of Assembly Certificate of Operation

Chicago Tent, Stage & Temporary Structure Permit

Los Angeles Temporary Special Events

Jul 31, 19 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: