Archinect
anchor

What architectural style/s is this suburban home trying to replicate ?

cwneogeo

Jul 27, 19 9:28 am

I'm absolutely baffled by it but it's true: the windows in brick are replicating when a wonderful old building that formerly had arched sashes gets renovated with new tacky vinyl smaller double hungs and the builder fills in the arch with painted plywood. OMG. Why would someone do that?!?!

Jul 27, 19 9:48 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It's breathtaking! Hahahaha

Jul 27, 19 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think this is a built version of a sample project that comes when you buy a CAD subscription. 

Jul 27, 19 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

e Shiite

Jul 27, 19 10:37 am  · 
 · 

The appearance of a social class to which the targeted buyer strives to belong. 

Jul 27, 19 10:54 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Aspiration revival.

Jul 29, 19 11:33 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i like the way it's massed like a group of rowhouses with infill, but it's just one house.

Jul 27, 19 11:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That’s what I saw first, too!

Jul 27, 19 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The tall windows with the gentle arch at the top seem Victorian while the twin gables and Palladian window above the front door reference Georgian. Seems like the front window in the bay window assembly would be a perfect replacement size for the 'Victorian' windows. 

Jul 27, 19 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

federalist updated with an add on Bay window on one side, lost its roof in a tornado and didn't get entirely built back, and had an addition tacked on with vinyl siding. 

Jul 27, 19 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, so is that house worth $400k?

Because that's what this slimy realtor is selling it for.

https://www.amayzinghomes.com/listings/view/8506-hampton-valley-chesterfield-va-real-estate-1916754.html

Jul 27, 19 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Depends on where. You couldn't touch it for $1MM in Denver.

Jul 27, 19 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

It would be much higher than 400k in my location. It's funny - I see the price tag and think wow, it's a steal - even though... yuck.

Jul 28, 19 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It would be 2 mil in Denver.

Jul 29, 19 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Here in LA, $400K will get you a 1200 SF 2-bedrooim in a semi-shady neighborhood, or a studio condo in a historical building.

Jul 29, 19 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's amayzing!

Jul 29, 19 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

NS, I'm curious why there's an assumption that the realtor is sleazy. Are all realtors just automatically sleazy? It's a 14 year old house, so presumably there's an individual owner/seller involved somewhere - why does the price reflect badly on the realtor and not the owner? The price doesn't look out of step with other homes in that region - what's the evidence of sleaze?

Jul 29, 19 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Realtors are assumed sleaze balls by default. I think that’s a fair rule to live by. As for the price, I was genuinely curious since I don’t really understand the American housing market.

Jul 29, 19 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Chesterfield, VA, is a 'burb of Richmond. They are selling a low crime rate, a good school system, and a location still within driving daily commuting distance of Richmond, which does not have low crime or a good school system. There are plenty of older houses in nearby developments without the homeowners fee for considerably less money and lots more character. This house is on a third of an acre in a development of similar houses. It seems a little big for the lot. 

Jul 27, 19 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

It’s a weird amalgam of various Colonial styles, but it’s a hot mess.  

Jul 28, 19 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Here's the designer:  https://lifestylehomebuilders....

They've got lots of other weird amalgams. 

Jul 28, 19 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"We've got lots of weird amalgams" is their motto, I believe.  It's on the letterhead.

Jul 29, 19 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

I think it is Georgian but with out any of the good stuff.  Not the worst looking house but it could have been a lot better too.

Jul 28, 19 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The external historical references could have been more accurate, the vinyl siding on the sides and back could have been been replaced with wood, but it is on a standard sized lot, has hardwood flooring on the first floor anyway, seems to have reasonable quality interior appliances, and, best of all, it is not a McMansion. I don't think a homeowner could purchase a lot for $70,000 and have an architect and builder deliver essentially the same house as a one-off for $330,000. 

Jul 29, 19 6:54 am  · 
 · 
midlander

any home that turns the garage so the door isn't facing the street directly is at least making an effort to be decent. plus this one is cute, and the odd bits are endearing. it does a nice job as commodity suburban housing.

Jul 29, 19 10:05 am  · 
 · 
citizen

So much to critique!

What stands out (ironically) to me is the lack of depth.  On this big house with long facade, it appears that the greatest change in wall plane is about 6 inches.

The projecting gable rakes, porch, and bay window add some relief, but it still seems big and flat to me. Almost stage-set-like.

Jul 29, 19 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Returns are expensive.

Jul 29, 19 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Jul 29, 19 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

'Stage set' is a epreally good description of speculative development.

Jul 29, 19 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

The interactive tool on the designer's website lets you take the same named floor plan and stick 3 or 4 different "styles" on each house. The same big, rectangular floor plan can be a Craftsman, Colonial, Contemporary.... so of course it's flat - basically it's like drawing a house on a Kleenex box. Somebody should just start selling uniformly-sized rectangular houses, with snap-on facades like phone cases - then you could just get a new architectural style every few months, or for particular holidays - like you could make it the Addams Family house for Halloween, and then colonial for Thanksgiving.

Jul 29, 19 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Jul 29, 19 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
IHaveNoTaste-ism
Jul 29, 19 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: