Archinect
anchor

Is Architecture or Art Director the right profession for me?

jane_nonato

I am currently a second year architecture student. I am a good student. I always turn in my projects on time, I'm well at time management, I make fairly good grades in studio, and I am a pretty hard worker. 

Being an architect was something that I've always thought of becoming but I feel as if my reasons isn't the reality of what Architecture is. I've done some research and discovered that the median salary is moderately low compared to other careers that demand less qualifications and that design and creativity isn't a huge aspect in the working world.

What I am looking for in a career is something that allows me to express my creativity and develop concepts. I have quite the experience in the production of high-fashion editorial photoshoots as well as modeling for my own. I feel as if I won't be able to use these talents of mine of I were to continue pursuing Architecture, which is a long and arduous educational journey, which takes up a lot of time and oftentimes takes a toll on one's physical/mental health. If I were to stay, all of those all-nighters and long hours in the studio will be for nothing if the end product doesn't amount to the work put in.

I find that they romanticize the practice of Architecture so much in my school, grooming us to be starchitects like Hadid, Wright, or Ingels. In reality, this is not the case and most post-grads are stuck doing a boring office internship doing cad drawings while breaking their backs for minimal pay.

The thing that is holding me back is fear and regret into jumping into something new being that I am already second year. Because I am a pretty good student, I feel as if I can push through Architecture, but I don't feel like I will be satisfied with my career in the end.

I've thought about alternative routes that I could take, and I find that Art Director is a career that will suit me because it allows for creativity and the development of concepts, seeing a project from beginning to end, which I find to be very satisfying and fulfilling. 

I was wondering if I could stick to Architecture, but use the skillsets learned in this academic program and utilize it in other careers that grants me more creative freedom.

To sum it all up, should I stick to Architecture and risk not being fulfilled to have my creativity and ideation goals taken away from me? Or should I get out now and gear towards a career that will make me feel more fulfilled in my talents?

Jul 26, 19 3:21 pm
Non Sequitur

Architecture opens up many design-oriented doors without necessarily being about building and building construction.  Stick to the degree but keep going without falling victim to the "cure cancer with design skillz" chants often promoted through design studios.

I've known plenty who've branched off their arch degrees into furniture design, web/graphic design, magazine editor, etc.  In the end, how fulfilled you feel is super specific to you and your ambitions.  Having an arch background does not limit you only to drafting washroom tile elevations.

Jul 26, 19 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

I don't think NS is wrong, but you seem to have a strong intuition it isn't the ideal degree for you. Personally I would begin exploring other degrees in your college (i assume architecture is only one department) to see if you are drawn to anything else more. I think architecture could be the right undergrad degree for you if you really enjoy making physical things and the idea of craft. If not then there might be more effective routes.

Changing your mind in your 2nd year is not a big deal, don't sweat it.

Jul 27, 19 10:36 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

I have worked with some brilliant designers in architecture firms that have a BFA or MFA. Could Art be your major field of study with a minor in Architecture at your school?

Architecture is often romanticized in school, the reality of the architectural practice can be disappointing. Keep in mind that your school is in the business of selling degrees, it's in their best interest to sell the profession.

Jul 27, 19 10:57 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Art Director isn't an entry level position, so you're making a hypothetical comparison of unequal positions when you compare against the challenging work of becoming an architect.

Be more clear headed in what aspects of the work you like and what it will take to get there. In creative fields the satisfaction comes from the creative product, but not always the process getting you there.

There actually is demand for creative talent in architecture. Most architects are a bit less creative and a lot less talented than they fancy themselves to be, which leads them into roles they didn't quite want. If you want the good work, fight for it.

Jul 27, 19 11:33 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Is CEO of an oil corporation the right profession for me? I wonder..

Jul 30, 19 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Ha, love it. Reminds me of the people in high school who couldnt figure out what they wanted to do. "Maybe i'll just be the CEO of a company... " - Yep okay good luck with that.

Jul 30, 19 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Seems like a lot of people on here don’t personally know many Art Directors...Art Director can easily be equivalent to architect in terms of professional tracks. People not quite mid but past entry level career often hold the title of either, respectively. It’s probably more like Art Director vs Senior Project Architect and or Project Manager/Architect. Few titles at companies are simply ‘architect’.

To the OP yes you will make far more money and have far more design input/creativity and a wealth of options across many different types of companies by following a graphic design/communications type path vs architecture where you’ll be mostly pigdeon holed into only doing architecture. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a rare anomaly and likely had to do quite a reset in their career aka take a lower level position after transitioning OR is independently wealthy and able to start from scratch and give themselves whatever title they fancied.

Major in the thing you want to do in life, don’t continue along architecture in the hopes you could transition out later after having wasted who knows how long being miserable in the field like so many on these forums. Others along the art director path will have started at the undergrad level or sometimes even earlier and you’ll be competing against them. 2 years into undergrad isn’t that far.

Consider doing an internship in an ad agency or media company if you’re interested in that line of work. Do the same in an arch firm. Either will gladly have you work for peanuts or free. Get an insight in the day to day at both before investing on a long path in one or the other.

While it’s technically feasible to go from arch to graphic / ux design etc and people have done it later in their careers it is near impossible to go into architecture without a specific degree in arch.

Good luck.
Aug 1, 19 12:52 am  · 
 · 
archeyarch

i think architecture as a career would be rather dull for you, given what you have described.  maybe interior design would be more 'creative', or graphics/related design. don't think it would hurt to finish degree, but also don't see an incentive to do it.  follow your passion.  

Aug 3, 19 4:50 am  · 
 · 
svetlakrassimirova

Personaly I've studied architecture for 2.5 years. I felt something is missing though with hard work everything is possible. I felt like it takes my creativity away, so I just dropped off and started again studying Industrial design - combination of arts and design. I feel so much happier now and I think it suits me really good. I would advise you to be brave and do whatever you feel like because it's not worth it working something you don't like, or wasting years while you could do something with passion. Passion is the key - if you don't have it, it's not for you.

Dec 29, 19 6:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: