Archinect
anchor

J1 visa experience

2020aditic

Hey,

Can anyone share their experience on J1 visa - internship or training in the U.S ? Pros and Cons? Do companies covert visa status from J1 to H1-b? 

Thanks.

Jul 24, 19 7:30 am
Steeplechase

Neither is appropriate for someone who wants to immigrate. This type of information is publicly available from the State Department.

Jul 24, 19 9:21 am  · 
 · 
2020aditic

Okay so I recently came across few groups such as, The intern group, Architect-US ; who send students and practicing architects to US to gain hands on experience, develop strong resume.. these groups have tie up with some mid level to corporate level architecture firms.. My concern is, with J1 once you are done with your internship/ training you have to return to your home country and stay for 2 years.. Is it true? What’s J1-waiver for ?

Jul 24, 19 11:01 am  · 
 · 
2020aditic

Okay so I recently came across few groups such as, The intern group, Architect-US ; who send students and practicing architects to US to gain hands on experience, develop strong resume.. these groups have tie up with some mid level to corporate level architecture firms.. My concern is, with J1 once you are done with your internship/ training you have to return to your home country and stay for 2 years.. Is it true? What’s J1-waiver for ?

Jul 24, 19 11:01 am  · 
 · 
2014March

All people need to return to their country if you are working under j1. Be careful though. J1 comes with a 2 year residency rule depending on your home country. Once the visa expires, you cannot visit the US for 2 years. 

You can try o1, which is for people with extraordinary skills. Many people do not qualify for o1, so they apply for h1b, which is based on lottery. If you don't have a US education, it is extremely difficult to get selected for the visa. It's like 30% of winning the visa lottery for you. 

Jul 24, 19 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
2020aditic

Hey thanks for your response. Any idea what is J1 waiver for and when should one use it ?

Jul 24, 19 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
2014March

I think I went through what you are experiencing as I know Architect-US and J-1 visa process. However, you need to contact the lawyer for more accuracy.

As far as I know, depending on the country of origin, you are subjected to 2 year residency rule. You can check it on website if you are subjected to the rule or not. For some people with certain countries, you are "waved" for 2 year residency rule, and I think that's what you are talking about. 

If you are waved for 2 year residency rule, you can come back to the US anytime and convert your J-1 visa to other types of visa, such as F-1, O1 , H1B, B1/B2 or ESTA.

Jul 25, 19 7:15 am  · 
 · 
2020aditic

Thank you so much !!

Jul 25, 19 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: