Archinect
anchor

Sendai Mediatheque how does the structural floor connect with the tubes?

Aqua123

Hello 

I'm scratching my head on how the structural floor system works in the Sendai Mediatheque. From drawings i understood that the smaller tubes are bundled together with a ring beam and that the floorsystem is a steel "sandwich". But what i don't understand is how the sandwich meets the ringbeam to transfer loads..From the details it looks like the extented top plate is pushed inbetween the smaller tubes, resting on the ringbeam and it looks like the middle part "ribs" and bottom plate that are welded together are floating... But from construction pictures it looks like there is a secundaire ringbeam for the "sandwich" that connects with the ringbeam of the tubes..and some diagrams makes it look like the ribs are directly welded on the ringbeam where each tubes stands..

Jul 16, 19 2:02 am
Non Sequitur

when is your homework due?

Jul 16, 19 7:35 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

Thanks for your concern.. It's a homework for my own acknowledge to use it in academic projects so it's due no day.

Jul 16, 19 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

With just 45 seconds of googling I was able to get a decent article (dated some time after the tsunami damage) which explained the structural floor. Maybe try harder? Certainly you have access to a library somewhere with real architectural magazines.

Jul 16, 19 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

What an impulsive comment. I'm not here to discuss about if I did or did not research enough before I came here. I wanted to open a discussion to talk about the structural system of the Sendai Mediatheque especially the floor structure and got a (wrong) cliché thought back, how sad.. "homework" "I googled it and got quick the answer.." Well done. Maybe I understand it harder then you do, isn't that possible? Honestly before giving comments like this try to be understandable and helpful than? Ofcourse I did my reasearch with that I got many different informations about how it works, it was not 1 clear answer to get going, because I looked up at different sources that claims how the structure works as said above with the options I got from my research... So I wanted to give this forum a try to get different visions etc..

Jul 16, 19 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

and figure out how it works. So my goal was not ask a question get the answer and fill it on my "homework" and hand in. Such a pitty thought.

Jul 16, 19 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cool story, too bad it's not really exciting. You can't really have different opinions on how structure works... it's not really debatable how the forces are dealt with in this example. See your opening sentence above and then come back to say "you've done your research".

Jul 16, 19 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

exactly

Jul 16, 19 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

Exactly! Just like you say forces are not really debatable, so are constructions being made like the SM building but still I got different explanatios and drawings (to write it shortly) I understand from your comment that I did not write my question well and what kind of discussion I wanted to start. I'm not familiar to ask on forums. It was not about forces but constructive connections being made. Perhaps this was not the forum to ask. It's not a story nor to get excited from it?? Anyways. Such childish comments on this forum I did not expect it. You can give structural criticism, but those sentences you make are so not. You can say that these questions are not for here and that I'll probably get more help on forums that deals with construction etc..

Jul 16, 19 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

You won't gain anything by being bitter and trying to push me back, thinking about "oh no someone wants an answer for their homework", and I won't loose anything.

Jul 16, 19 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Phrasing your question in a thoughtful and clear way goes a long way. Perhaps it's not so obvious to you but 9 out 10 posts are people looking for a quick answer instead of a discussion. If you're that 1 out 10, then please continue. Spaceframe structural systems are very neat things to look at and SM is maybe the only modern(ish) example of one I can think of at this moment.

Jul 16, 19 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Aqua123

If you are going to use your energy anyways writing a comment on this, try to give helpful comments that will give directions (like i wrote here above) and not rude ones like "when is your homework due" and your further comments,  attacking someone without knowing.  

Jul 16, 19 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

See my earlier response above.

Jul 16, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Sendai Mediatheque is a modern classic!  Glad to see professors getting their students to check it out!

Jul 16, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

It appears that the ring beam is welded to the tubes and then the bottom ring beam of the upper steel structure is bolted to the bottom ring beam of the lower structure. The forces are transferred through the welded connections at the tubes and eventually through the bolted connections at the ring beams.

Jul 16, 19 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: