Archinect
anchor

Architecture Portfolio review please!

clara.wafiq

I need reviews to see how to improve my portfolio for internships at firms and for a masters' program. any comments, bad or good would be extremely helpful. also, if i should take projects out, which ones should they be?

https://issuu.com/clarawafiq/docs/portfolio_-_clara_adly

Jul 5, 19 11:17 am
archanonymous

Try to look for portfolio crit session hosted by your local AIA or AIAS chapters. 

Two main things I noticed:

1. Editing and Hierarchy. There is no editing and no clear hierarchy to your projects or the different drawings and images within each project.

2. White space/ blank page space. You need like 2 - 3x as much as you currently have. 

Jul 5, 19 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
clara.wafiq

Ill try to look at those, thanks!

Jul 6, 19 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

It's much too long.  Cut it by at least two thirds. For someone at your level most prospective employers are going to want to just be able to see your skills, and to discuss one or two of your best academic projects with you.  It's not necessary or helpful to make your portfolio so dense with every project you've done in school. The projects are very repetitive - all show fairly good visual skills but none are really any better or worse than others - so it doesn't matter much which you remove.  Go for the most diversity/range of project types.  I'm not a fan of "stop imagining, start doing" - it sounds like a sneaker ad.  Some breathing room (white space) there would help more than any slogan!

I'd encourage developing separate portfolios for applying for jobs vs. applying to M.Arch programs.  The former should focus more on your understanding of the whole project process, from programming through CDs, and on a range of scales from detailing up to site plans, and on immediately-useful software and presentation skills.  The latter should focus more on an iterative creative process.

Jul 5, 19 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
clara.wafiq

Thank you very much. Criticism is much appreciated
 · 
clara.wafiq

Do you think I should change the colour scheme?

Jul 6, 19 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

deleted

Jul 5, 19 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

There are a lot of typos and bad grammar.  You should get a few people to proofread it for you. 

I'd recommend providing a little less info for each of your student accomplishments, because you can represent them in a better light if you leave more unsaid.  For instance for the math award just list the award itself, and delete all the info about being in the top 25%.  Top 25% isn't really that impressive, but if you leave it as just the award with no explanatory text then people will assume it was more selective.  Similarly with the usher job:  just state that you were a student usher, and name the event.  The rest of it looks like you're desperately name-dropping and puffing up a trivial one-time gig.

That chart you have for your proficiency with various software has become such an annoying applicant cliche, and those charts tend to backfire anyway because they highlight which software you really aren't good at.  If you really must list software, just make a list. 

The others are right about the length and density - you should try to cull it down to 3 or 4 good projects, each on either 2 or 4 pages (so the total page count would be 8 to 16 pages, including the resume and covers), and I'd also suggest thinning down the images on those pages by more than half. 

Jul 5, 19 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Also you've got your board of brass shower heads and bathroom accessories labeled "Living Room Materials"...

Jul 5, 19 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
clara.wafiq

I truly think if i looked at my own work a 100 times i wouldnt have noticed all of this. Thank you very much. Criticism is much appreciated

· 
clara.wafiq

Do you think I should change the colour scheme?

Jul 6, 19 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

I'm ok with the overall color scheme. Black/white/grey + magenta is a pretty good strategy - the bit of bold color in the text works as a cohesive theme on each page, and gives some hierarchy to that text. But I think the magenta text itself is plenty - I'm not at all a fan of the additional "paint splats" on every page, of magenta and the blue/grey color. I'd suggest removing all of those "splats", they're just more distracting clutter on the pages and don't do anything useful for you.

Jul 6, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
clara.wafiq

Thank you so much.

Jul 6, 19 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: