Archinect
anchor

carpenter with bachelor of architecture going back to get an March.

davelambert

I have been a carpenter since my early 20's, but went back to university to get a bachelor of architecture, graduating at 31. In the last semester of school some catastrophic events in my personal/ family life put my chosen path on hold to some extent, but I am now getting back into design. I work in the film industry building sets, and when I get the chance, designing them. My question is, is it worth going back to do an March. program? The big question for me is about the age. I am currently 35, and curious if anyone has insight or opinion about taking an March. as an older student, but with interest and experience in design. Is there a chance at success at my age in the conventional field of architecture aside from the odd stint in film? 

cheers 

Jul 3, 19 2:20 am
archinet

Cannot see why not. As long as you were working in an adjacent field during your time away from your studies and needed the money, I think it is ok. If I were an employer looking at your CV I would not hold it against you, you were working so it shows you are not lazy. Many women have to take time off because of maternity leave, or some people work freelance doing rendering and get back to a traditional office. I think one thing that might be a worry is do you want to pay to do the Masters? And then once you do graduate you will most likely earn very little as all recent graduates do. 

Jul 3, 19 5:26 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

For all practical purposes that ship has sailed. By the time you're done you'll be competing with 20 year-olds for employment. Aside from the fact that there is much more demand for people who actually do something than there is for architects.

Expand on your abilities and look for small design / build opportunities. Partner with architects to offer these services. Spec your own projects. Start submitting proposals for stage sets. But don't waste your time and money chasing a degree 20 years late unless you have a trust fund and no need to earn a reasonable living.

Jul 3, 19 9:01 am  · 
 · 
davelambert

Thank's for your comment, I appreciate your pragmatic point of view, and the suggestions. Expanding on that, do you really feel that experience wouldn't be taken into consideration where it might be of use, and that there would be direct competition with 20 year olds for the exact same position? Where I am school is a fraction of a cost as it is in the US, so I can see why you would be apprehensive about going for an M.arch in the US. But again, thanks, all good points to consider

Jul 3, 19 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

You have a B.arch already why would you need an M.arch too? Just a waste of money, you can get a fine job with what you have.

Jul 3, 19 11:16 am  · 
 · 
davelambert

Where I am, you need an M. arch to become a licensed architect.

Jul 3, 19 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Where is that? Not in the USA? A NAAB-accredited BArch should be good in any US state.

Jul 3, 19 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
davelambert

I am in Canada, and, unfortunately, I don't think my degree would be NAAB-accredited

Jul 3, 19 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You work in the film industry but you are not in California? The way I read the NCARB website you do not need a professional degree in Cali.

https://www.ncarb.org/get-lice...

Jul 3, 19 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
davelambert

no, I am in Canada, thank you for the link though!

Jul 3, 19 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jacq Arch

I know a contractor that got his B.arch in his 50s and he’s doing great. Architects appreciate the perspective of contractors in the office. 

I don’t see the point of the M.arch. 

Jul 3, 19 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
davelambert

it's needed in Canada to become eligible for registration as an architect. Great to hear the positive feedback, thanks for the comment!

Jul 3, 19 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is a potential Plan B

https://raic-syllabus.ca/faqs

Jul 4, 19 7:56 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Are you sure you have a Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) and not another bachelor degree in architecture? If it's a BArch you can be eligible for getting licensed.

Jul 25, 19 8:32 am  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

F_ck everything and Go for what you want. At any age. 

Jul 26, 19 11:03 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i had a classmate who was a carpenter (late 40ish at best)  going for an m.arch.  I think it was harder to him to get a job a first, but once he got in he did very well and advanced quickly within the firm.

Jul 30, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

You are not old and with your experience I'd hire you in a heart beat. You'd be surprised how many fresh out of college students think they are the next Corbu have never even lifted a brick....yet they know everything! 

Personally I think you would be a great asset to any company!

Aug 1, 19 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Pretty much every carpenter I've met through academia has found huge success (I went to an undergrad where that was a common background for late-bloomer students who wanted to go back to school for architecture). A few have started their own firms and gained some national attention, even done a bit of hiring.

I think you're an excellent candidate for this path from the sound of it.

Aug 1, 19 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Agree with Bench here.  Here's one example of someone doing quite well with a similar background out here on the East Coast.  You can also see the possibility of finding a similar firm and working as a carpenter without needing to go back to school as a number of his employees are carpenters.  

Aug 4, 19 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Funny enough, thats who i was thinking of.

Aug 4, 19 9:32 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

and just like that, this gets posted

Aug 6, 19 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
kenchiku
3tk

I had a few classmates in their late 30s through 40s, one who was an accomplished carpenter.  The program had a more mature bent (few students would do all-nighters, most kept reasonable hours and balanced life outside of school well), so that can be helpful. 

While you may find yourself competing for similar positions, you also will find that the experience is helpful in understanding parts of the job that takes years for recent grads to really appreciate.  It's not guaranteed, but you may be able to leverage the experience into a more advanced position (or advance more readily).

Aug 6, 19 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: