Archinect
anchor

Inverted home: should entry be on ground level or mid point?

nishapatel

Hi all,

My spouse and I are constructing a new two story home on a beautiful hill on 13k sir ft lot and 6k sqr ft home. His parents will be staying with us and so we decided to make the ADU their unit built into half of the bottom floor of the home. My question is should I create a main entry on the ground level or mid point (split level) entry?

Key points: 

First floor: ADU 1200 sqrft, gym and game room. 9 ft ceilings 

Second floor: my entire home, 3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room and office. Entertaining deck, and access to back yard, 13ft ceilings with skylight  

Should I build the entry on ground level or mid point? Option A or B? 

Thank you for your help. 

Jul 1, 19 8:06 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 10 Comments

Fivescore

This is the sort of design work for which we get paid.  Hire an architect.  Or are you one of those people who shops your tennis elbow around to any other wedding guests who let it slip that they're doctors?

Jul 1, 19 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes.

Jul 1, 19 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

looks like a shitty disposable Walmart like house. Hire an architect if you want answers. 

Jul 1, 19 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

just add a man door in the garage

Jul 1, 19 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

The door should be aligned with the spirit energy of the site to allow good fortune to flow in while blocking disgruntled spirits that cause havoc in the family.

Jul 1, 19 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

Hey go easy on her. I mean it's only $6,000 sq.ft., she clearly can't afford an architect.

Jul 1, 19 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

In inverted  homes you enter through the chimney, everybody knows that...

Jul 2, 19 3:10 am  · 
 · 
poop876

So much potential and you thew it all out by this. Hire an architect! 

Jul 2, 19 5:32 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Older people need to be able to access their own living spaces from the outside without using stairs. Ideally a single story home with a separate wing for your parents would be ideal. Second best would be a completely detached cottage for them. The two-story is just inviting a slip and fall sooner or later. 

Jul 2, 19 6:28 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Your house is about twice as big as it needs to be.

If you want any more advice than that I can send a fee estimate.

Jul 2, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: