Archinect
anchor

M Arch Degree in Hopes Of Opening Design + Build Firm

wildblackberries

I've been thinking for the past year or so of applying for an M. Arch degree but need a little bit of direction. What I want to do eventually is open my own design + build studio where I envision specializing in build outs for store interiors, restaurants, designing single family homes or light commercial buildings, and furniture design (which I do already). 

My main question is: What sort of route might you suggest I take to get to this goal of opening my own design + build studio? Do I need to be a licensed architect to do any of this, or do I need to go to school for any of this? 

My background: Non-B.Arch undergrad and am currently a commercial photographer.

Jun 30, 19 1:57 pm
Non Sequitur

Depending on your location, you will most certainly require an architect's license (and professional liabilty insurance) in order to offer fit-up, renovation, and new build services.  Depending on location, you may not require a M.arch but it is highly unlikely that you'll get to where you want to without some sort of B.arch of M.arch equivalent education.

There are reasons, in most countries, why the random wanker layman can't just open up design service shops.  Start by researching the legal requirements for the services you list (furniture requires nothing more than a sucker... aka client) and go from there.  No one can offer you much more guidance than this without some geographical constraints.

Jun 30, 19 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

Thank you. I'll start researching the legal requirements for these services. I would be in Massachusetts if that helps at all.

Jun 30, 19 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
ashutoshsingh

nice one must visit prohindiblogger

Jun 30, 19 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Working full-time at a design-build practice would be very helpful. Think Marmol Radziner, GLUCK+ etc. Finding a geography/market would also be critical.

Jun 30, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

Thanks! Would one without design background be able to work at a place like those though? I'd be based in the US, Massachusetts specifically.

Jun 30, 19 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Well, I think most would require a B.Arch or M.Arch degree. Like the posters above said, being an interior decorator doesn't require licensing or even an education - look at all the rich housewives who run interior studios because they share the same taste as their clients (friends).

Starting as a builder would probably require a GC license (?) - but you would be swapping architecture school for starting at the bottom and learning a trade with a contractor. I'd say an M.Arch education helps if you're willing to spend the money and time. You could then go work at a design-build or design-develop firm before starting off on your own a few years down the line

As for design-build practices in MA ... you'd have to Google that. AFAIK, none of the GSD and MIT faculty that I know of run that kind of business.

Jun 30, 19 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

Copy that! Yeah, it's a tough one - what I feel is that I'd love to be in a program where they teach all this stuff that I don't know yet, though I could possibly learn the same thing working for a contractor. But yeah it would be a LOT of money. This is all really great to consider - thank you!

Jun 30, 19 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Like thisisnotmyname said below, going to a prestige school wouldn't be much help to you in terms of learning how to build. Yale's vLock first year building program is about as intense as the Ivies get when it comes to actually putting a building together. I'd look into schools that actually teach design-build - Auburn has one I believe - rather than the big name schools.

Jun 30, 19 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

Thank you. I can see that point for sure re: the ivys. Have you heard anything about the MArch at MassArt or the BAC?

Jun 30, 19 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

There's also Wentworth Institute of Technology too in the Boston area. The quality of ideas and facilities is definitely a step down from GSD and MIT but I can't attest to their design-build pedagogy - if any at all!

My personal view is that schools alone will never be able to fully prepare you for a design-build career - your work experiences and internships (Take a year off from school, for instance, after the first or second year) - will probably count for a lot more! If you could afford GSD/MIT in the Boston area, then by all means go for it. Learn the theory and "D"esign in school and build a strong network with the would-be developers on campus - then take a year off to work at a design-build firm in Boston or outside the state. It doesn't even have to a d-b outfit right from the start - you could intern at a smaller residential design practice that works closely with GCs and fabricators before gaining the experience to go full d-b.

If cost and time are a concern, then a less prestigious school wouldn't hurt at all. You'd miss out on the French post-modernist theories but that has zero bearing on your education in design-build. Reading the technical and construction manuals and gaining experience as a project manager - dealing with budgets, materials, clients, zoning etc - would be far more beneficial!

Jun 30, 19 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

Ah this is so helpful! Thank you thank you. I’ll look into Wentworth as well and consider taking a year off in between to work and gain experience that way, though I feel a time pressure since I’m changing careers at 30 hah.

Jul 2, 19 9:18 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Unless you have access to a lot of cash or your parents are going to pay for your schooling,  I would look for the most inexpensive and hands-on construction oriented M.Arch program you can find.   That means it probably won't be a a fancy prestige school, but that's ok.  Augment the MArch curriculum with some community college courses in construction and drafting.   You will need a good cash reserve built-up for when you start your own business.  Avoid heavy student loan debt at all costs.

Jun 30, 19 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

That's a great idea! Thank you - this helps a lot. I asked in the above thread too so sorry if this is redundant, but I'm looking at the programs at MassArt and BAC as well at Northeastern and the GSD. Any thoughts on MassArt or BAC?

Jun 30, 19 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
corycozy

I did my undergraduate

Jun 30, 19 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
corycozy

*typo sorry

Jun 30, 19 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
corycozy

I am doing my undergraduate degree in Construction Science & Management with a similar goal. Feel free to DM me for any of the professional licensure/organizations with a low bar of entry that can get the ball rolling for you! I’ve aligned myself with some architecture courses already, and the duality makes a world of the difference. In fact, knowing as much as possible with the AEC disciplines (Architectural, Engineering, and Construction) is very advantageous; business as well. 

I would urge, like others have said, to not attend some posh Arch school but instead one that has a strong engineering and/or construction core to supplement your prospective M.Arch degree with practical hands-on skills. 

Jun 30, 19 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
wildblackberries

Thank you! And thank you for the offer for the DM. Expect a DM soon! I have tons of questions hah.

Jul 2, 19 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: