Archinect
anchor

BFA TO RA

archway

If someone has a BFA in Interior Design and has a lot of knowledge in the Architecture filed, In order for them to be an RA, they have to have a Bachelor of Architecture or they can still be an architect if they've passed the state requirement ?

May 21, 19 12:17 pm
Non Sequitur

Have you passed your architect exams and finished IDP?

May 21, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
archway

No, The question is if it's possible to take the exam and become an Architect if you don't have a bachelor in architecture

May 21, 19 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

It depends on the jurisdiction. Where do you want to work?

May 21, 19 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

NCARB has a bunch of information regarding this topic. www.ncarb.org

May 21, 19 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I guess defining what “knows a lot about architecture” implies is probably important here too.

May 21, 19 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

JFC

May 21, 19 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

The short answer is, it depends where you are. It's still possible without a degree in some US states; I can't speak for anywhere outside the US.

Speaking as someone who did it, though, I would urge you to consider an M.Arch - with a BFA in ID, getting into an M.Arch program shouldn't be too hard, and an accredited degree is definitely the path of least resistance.

May 22, 19 8:58 am  · 
 · 
archway

So getting in to mArch then trying to get my RA would be the better way to do it , right ?

May 22, 19 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

"Better way" depends on which state you're in, and on what degree you already have (if any) and on your plans for the future. There are still +/- 20 states with routes to a license that don't require an NAAB-accredited degree - but all of them involve documenting more years of work in architecture than are required if you have that degree, before you can be licensed. And if you do take the "experience route", it can limit your ability to get reciprocal licensing in other states later.

If you're in a state that allows the experience route AND you're likely to keep working only in that state AND you have the ability to get the required experience in architecture firms and related settings AND you have the minimum education required by that state (which is only a high school degree in some, and a 4-year degree from a pre-professional architecture major in others) then the "better way" might be that route - since you'll be working and earning rather than sitting in a classroom, spending tuition, and not earning. But if you're in a state that absolutely requires an NAAB degree OR if you may want the future flexibility to practice in other states that require it OR if you're not going to be able to find jobs in architecture and get the extra years of experience required for a license by experience (which vary from 4 to 9+ years, depending on the state) OR you don't have the minimum education required by the applicable state, then the "better way" might be getting an M.Arch.

May 22, 19 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I have no architecture degree, and got my license by the experience route - as stated, it can be done depending on what state you're in, but it is definitely doing it the hard way.

If getting the M.Arch is feasible for you financially, that is what I would recommend.

May 22, 19 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
archway

Great, Thank you so much for your time and help

May 22, 19 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: