If someone has a BFA in Interior Design and has a lot of knowledge in the Architecture filed, In order for them to be an RA, they have to have a Bachelor of Architecture or they can still be an architect if they've passed the state requirement ?

May 21, 19 12:17 pm
Non Sequitur

Have you passed your architect exams and finished IDP?

May 21, 19 12:18 pm

No, The question is if it's possible to take the exam and become an Architect if you don't have a bachelor in architecture

Witty Banter

It depends on the jurisdiction. Where do you want to work?


NCARB has a bunch of information regarding this topic.

Non Sequitur

I guess defining what “knows a lot about architecture” implies is probably important here too.



atelier nobody

The short answer is, it depends where you are. It's still possible without a degree in some US states; I can't speak for anywhere outside the US.

Speaking as someone who did it, though, I would urge you to consider an M.Arch - with a BFA in ID, getting into an M.Arch program shouldn't be too hard, and an accredited degree is definitely the path of least resistance.

May 22, 19 8:58 am

So getting in to mArch then trying to get my RA would be the better way to do it , right ?


"Better way" depends on which state you're in, and on what degree you already have (if any) and on your plans for the future. There are still +/- 20 states with routes to a license that don't require an NAAB-accredited degree - but all of them involve documenting more years of work in architecture than are required if you have that degree, before you can be licensed. And if you do take the "experience route", it can limit your ability to get reciprocal licensing in other states later.

If you're in a state that allows the experience route AND you're likely to keep working only in that state AND you have the ability to get the required experience in architecture firms and related settings AND you have the minimum education required by that state (which is only a high school degree in some, and a 4-year degree from a pre-professional architecture major in others) then the "better way" might be that route - since you'll be working and earning rather than sitting in a classroom, spending tuition, and not earning. But if you're in a state that absolutely requires an NAAB degree OR if you may want the future flexibility to practice in other states that require it OR if you're not going to be able to find jobs in architecture and get the extra years of experience required for a license by experience (which vary from 4 to 9+ years, depending on the state) OR you don't have the minimum education required by the applicable state, then the "better way" might be getting an M.Arch.

atelier nobody

I have no architecture degree, and got my license by the experience route - as stated, it can be done depending on what state you're in, but it is definitely doing it the hard way.

If getting the M.Arch is feasible for you financially, that is what I would recommend.


Great, Thank you so much for your time and help

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: