Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Advice

snwl123

Hi all,

I would like to ask for some help on my portfolio.

I am currently looking for a job, and would need some help on portfolio advice.

I understand my portfolio is not fantastic, and as such, I would be very grateful if someone can critique and give pointers on my portfolio.

Here is the link: https://issuu.com/neoposb2011/docs/portfolio_public-compressed1

Thank you very much!

May 8, 19 12:52 pm
Bloopox

The "Ridges" and "Grooves" projects are the strongest, both in terms of developing and explaining a concept, and in communicating that you have some useful skills that will carry over from academia to a firm.  I would lead with those. 

What is with that font for "the Heart" project??  I would ditch that - it reads as immature and dated. 

The 2 pages of site maps for that first project are way too much - it would be better to just have one larger full-page map with all the elements on it, labeled. 

On the cover please make your name read horizontal, and put it on the right side.  Making your reviewers crane their necks to read it and squint to sort it out from the underlying graphic is not a favorable first impression!

May 8, 19 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I like the image on p.4

May 8, 19 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

On page 10 (?) the edge of your site drawing cross over into your text areas, making the text harder to read.  Adding page numbers would be helpful to the overall organization.  I like how clean your layouts are, although I'm not a fan of the center-justified text used throughout.  

I'm not sure if you're planning to send this digitally or through print.  I'd do a print copy just to check how the colors and text show up.  I use this font a lot for my personal stuff, and I know it can have issues printing so that it is legible.

Others may disagree, but it feels like your portfolio begins to run out of steam.  A lot of the beginning images have a color element, while the last few projects are all in black and white.  Experiment with the organization of the projects and see if you can come in and go out on a high note.

May 8, 19 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Usually I dislike images on the cover - I  prefer just a name, and no other elements.  In this case though I do like the image - it's intriguing, and just colorful enough without being annoying.  I don't like your name running through the image though. Move your name to white space and turn it rightside up!

May 8, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
exla

yeah as someone wrote before, the double site map page 8-9 is way too much, you need to use the pages more efficiently, keep in mind that most your pages are gonna be seen for less than a couple of seconds (sometimes less than a second) and you need to show skill and grab attention.

On most of your pages the work shown seems okay but you're not putting it in evidence, we feel a bit lost in your work. An example of a page working really well in my opinion is page 28-29, there is a good balance between white spaces, images, and your intent is really clear and thats because of having just the necessary text. (Don't get me wrong sometimes having more text is better but here the balance with all the documents is just good)

In opposite page 26-27 there is an abundance of diagram and axon at different scale with different colors, i don't know where i should look and i don't get what you are trying to show instantly. You should balance it, maybe more text or adjust this layout and size of elements. I feel you could make it simpler and make everything fit on one side somehow. Sometimes using no text and a lot of white spaces can be really nice with a series of a diagram but it would need to be much more graphically punchy and clearer in order to work. You could actually make it work with the diagrams on right side if it was balances with some text and images on the left side, but axon diagrams on the left associated with axon diagrams on the right feels too much.

Also 54 pages is just too long, and it's not as if you had so many projects, you don't need that much pages.

Also I would try to find small graphic design elements that can unify all this portfolio, it can be very small elements, for example just having the page number with a small line above it on each page could be enough. The title page of each project is similar which is a good first step, but try to add a small something that make us feel the whole is unified.

Also about these title page they are really nice on the left side but to balance it you need to throw in some punch on the right side, it often seem you are not taking the best image to showcase the project.

I hope what i said made some sense, you really have some nice documents in there, with more work on this portfolio you could really get a killer one.

May 9, 19 1:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: