Archinect
anchor

Interior Window & Door Mouldings

oldwhitehouse

Hello, I am renovating my condo. Adding moldings around windows, doors,  adding crown moulding, maybe a picture mould, etc. My situation is that: The ceiling elevations varies  + - 1" and the elevations of the tops of the windows and doors vary + - 1  2". When I put trim around the windows and doors and install crown moulding, the space between crown and head moulding will vary. And the elevation of the top of the mould will vary an inch or two from a window to an adjacent door for example. To get them to line up would add a whole other layer to the job of demoing openings, padding out extension jambs, blah blah blah, rather than simply just adding moldings. Am I being ocd? Just add the pretty moulding and live with it? Or is that an architectural faux pas?

May 8, 19 7:12 pm
Non Sequitur

your best and only feasible option is to take out the offending windows are re-do all the openings.  Another option is to burn the Condo to the ground and start new somewhere else.

Friends don’t let friends have terrible mouldings. 

May 8, 19 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

If I may clarify: The sagging floor joists above and the ensuing lopsided crown I suppose I could live with. My greater concern is the varying elevations of the door and window moldings.

May 8, 19 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

a picture is worth a thousand words

May 8, 19 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

Well the 1" sag in floor joists would barely show up in a pic. But from left to right along a wall I have a window elevation of 87" (to face of jamb), an exterior door of 84", then a few feet away an interior opening of 80". That's the picture. Thanks. 

May 9, 19 6:34 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've done a ton of remodeling, and this is a common situation. If you can't afford to fix the problem, maybe you shouldn't add moldings that will accentuate it. Or keep the moldings relatively small and simple so the problem is less noticeable.

On the other hand, unless it's a very formal space, having interior and exterior door heads at different heights isn't usually a big deal, and having door heads and window heads at different heights is very common in older homes. 

May 9, 19 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You can also put up big poofy curtains.

May 9, 19 8:41 am  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

I think you guys are right. I'm really overthinking this. I'm not submitting a close up for a feature in Architectural Digest. And the poofy curtains will make an excellent accelerant should I decide to strike a match.

May 9, 19 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: