Archinect
anchor

What are some career opportunities outside of licensure?

TedMosby
Hi all,

Licensure sure is a far ways ahead of me, and the idea could be daunting that I may never reach it. What are some other paths or careers that some of you have either gone down or witnessed? (Ideally it would be a decent paying job too, please no “jokes”). Just will be very reassuring that I may not necessarily have to be a “Junior Architect” for the rest of my life if I never get licensed.

Thank you all very much and have a lovely day.

May 2, 19 11:01 am
Non Sequitur

No jokes?

but seriously, there are plenty of gigs where design-minded folks end up which are not construction related.  Think about various marketing departments, graphic design, product sales rep, furniture design, etc.  

May 2, 19 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Also, seems like everyone i've ever met who has an MBA in Real estate development (or some type of equivalent study) has told me at some point that a licensed architect in their market could pull in a big salary working at their company, *nudge nudge*, because the design thinking and construction management aspect is worth a lot to them as a client rep who can archi-speak to the designers. Seems like the kind of thing to pursue if I ever wanted to cash out big from the sound of it....

May 2, 19 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

MBAs are the scourge of mankind. Every business you hate is managed by MBAs who spend their time trying to figure out how to charge you more for giving you less.

That kind of thinking - laser focus on financial profit maximization - is the reason why things are the way they are. Real estate developers were the worst clients I ever had. These are people who will cut your throat for a nickel, then collect your blood and sell it.

May 2, 19 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Building Inspector, Plans Examiner and on to Building Commissioner.

Its just another path.

May 2, 19 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Outside of architecture altogether - UX design, and the burgeoning field of experience designers in hospitality and retail (Interiors by another name)

May 2, 19 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

You can also have a career in architecture without ever getting licensed - at firms I've worked at, not more than half of PMs were licensed (I was an unlicensed PM myself, until I finally got off my ass and finished my exams).

May 2, 19 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Might want to check out Archinect's Working out of the Box series

May 5, 19 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

TedMosby, if I could start over I would be licensed by now, but for various reasons I'm not licensed and probably never will be. Ways I have made money in architecture-related fields:

Residential design, licensure not required in most places for 1- and 2-family. I know, the RAs on here hate people like me, but I provide an equivalent service to architects (as opposed to the level of service and skill a typical drafter would provide) and charge about the same. I'm so busy with this that I direct work to architects I like regularly, including two projects (a new home and a large renovation) just this afternoon.  

I love building as well as designing, so in the past and now again I have a small construction company (currently 3 carpenters plus me). Builders have an advantage over architects when the economy eventually slows down, and there can be a lot of efficiency gained when combining design and construction under one roof. There are some trade-offs, such as the most talented designers/architects rarely want to be involved in construction, and there is nobody else to share responsibility (or throw under the bus). 

If you are technically oriented, building science consulting is a growth industry. I have made a bit of a name for myself as a building science expert and could stay busy full time right now consulting on projects, as building science seems to overwhelm many otherwise top-notch architects. I've done some of that and may do more in the future. I get multiple requests weekly, from homeowners, architects and builders. It would be helpful to be a PE but I'm not and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. I do have a BS in civil engineering which is helpful. 

Writing about design-related topics. I currently have columns in two magazines, more geared to building science and low-carbon construction methods, but magazines and their related websites need good content. It can be hard to find ones that pay well; one of mine does, and the other is more of a loss leader, but established magazines can pay fairly. 

One field I have not tried but know architects who do well: sales. Manufacturers and retailers need people who can speak the language to rep their products. The good ones seem to do very well.

May 5, 19 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
athensarch

Hi Ted, consider looking into Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) at CM firms (GCs can be more stressful). At my company, some responsibilities are similar to a project architect doing CA. 

Coordination with MEP+FP and structure, constructibility issues flagged on drawings, coming up with solutions for field issues, writing RFIs, reviewing submittals, product data, 3d model coordination the trades use to produce shop drawings, etc. I'm not sure what you consider decent pay, but I make in the low 90s (salary, total comp just shy of 100k) in a top-5 high COL area. That's more than most from my graduating class that stayed in architecture in the same city.

Disclaimer: It can be very stressful. Your work directly impacts the construction schedule. It's not uncommon to work similar hours to the PMs and superintendents (60+). You work longer hours without overtime pay so the pay bump almost isn't worth it.

May 6, 19 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: