Archinect
anchor

Building patio covering questions about materials.

Cardinal18

hi, I’m new to this website. I’ve been trying to find a forum in the construction industry mainly residential. Anyways, I’m building a 16x20 vaulted ceiling over a patio deck. The problem is the customer wants the least amount of post possible. Three on each side spanning the 20 length. My only concern is using the right demensional lumber and building it to withstand all the down ward pressure. Just curious to see if anyone on here has any thoughts they’d like to share on thjis idea. Different materials problem solving anything that would be useful. I understand this is mainly an architectural forum. Can’t think of a better group to ask.

Apr 26, 19 4:43 pm
Non Sequitur

vaulted ceiling? Just need to put a column at each corner. Done deal. Besides that, 20’ length is not hard to reduce with clever knee bracing.  Anything more is 300$ per hour for design consultation. 

Apr 26, 19 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Use ornamental iron (or aluminum) supports for the roof. They can be as ornate (or modern) as the house style will support. They become part of the ambiance rather than just a square sectioned post blocking the view. 

Apr 27, 19 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: