Archinect
anchor

European architects have more power than the US?

vchertic

I recently listened to a recorded lecture given by Thom Mayne at Lawrence Technological University in Detroit, MI. In it, he said, “in Europe, you can actually do something, and you have power as an architect. Not like this country [US] where you’re producing a service. I am very anti-service.” 

I am wondering why he would think this. In what ways might the architect in Europe have more power than the architect in the US? 

Apr 4, 19 10:41 pm
Non Sequitur

the clients always have the most power.

Apr 4, 19 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The only reason Mayne is saying that, is because he has a commission in Europe and uses that to boast his own ego in lectures for unsuspected students and with American clients. He wants that continental "power" rubbing off on him and use it in the US to get things done his way. I'm saying that as a European architect ;-)

Also, in Europe there is still an appreciation for contemporary arts and architecture on an institutional level. We (in NL) have e.g. subsidies for young artists, designers and architects to help starting their practice, to experiment. We have competitions for young architects backed by local governments, etc. where the results are going to be implemented. We basically still have a functioning public sector that understands what architecture can do beyond turning a profit for investors.

Apr 5, 19 4:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: