Archinect
anchor

School work in Professional Portfolio?

gateway_ARCHitect

Hi all,

I'm a licensed architect with 7 years' experience. Is it appropriate for me to keep my school work in my portfolio moving forward? Right now, I have 5 school projects included, one from each year of my BArch program. I could probably remove the projects from the first couple of years, but I hesitate with some others. My school work is some of the most aesthetically and conceptually daring work I've ever done (being unconstrained by the real world and all), so I feel it presents what I'm capable of better than some of the ho-hum renovations and drab new construction projects I've worked on professionally.

Any advice appreciated!

Apr 1, 19 3:38 pm
eeayeeayo

Yeah that's a lot of school work to have in your portfolio at this stage of your career.

It's not that unusual to have one or two projects from school, or some personal artwork, to show your more conceptual capabilities, even when you have several years of experience.  But interviewers may interpret your inclusion of 5 academic projects as meaning that you haven't worked on much since then, and/or that you're a little stuck in school mode mentally/emotionally.  By the time you're a year or two out of school it's expected that professional work will be the main focus of your portfolio.

Apr 1, 19 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You need to enough school work in a portfolio to show your creativity, aesthetic interests, and graphic skills.  The school work should then be balanced with enough professional work to show you can be useful in a office setting where, in most cases, you will be working mainly on CD's.

Apr 4, 19 10:39 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Don't want to see school projects ever..... unless you are still a student

Apr 4, 19 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Must be depressing to having done your most daring work before your career even started. My latest work is usually my most aesthetically and conceptually daring work ;-)

Apr 5, 19 5:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: