Archinect
anchor

Cal Poly Pomona or Pratt B.Arch

Abby2023

Please help. I was accepted to only 2 architecture school CPP and Pratt.

I am in CA state. It really want to go to SLO, but get rejected. Also rejected from UCB (BA) and UCLA (BA).

The problem with Pratt is way too expensive. My question is:

1. CPP is a good architecture school?

2. Can I transfer to UCB or SLO later on?

3. Is it easy to find a job when you graduate from CPP?

5.My other plan is going to UCD Sustainable Environmental Design undergraduate or UCSB Environmental studies, later getting MAch in architecture (which is long way, 3 yrs program?)

Please advise, I am so devastated,  I have 4.5 GPA and 1400 SAT but didn't get to SLO architecture. Thank you so much.

Apr 1, 19 1:27 pm
atelier nobody

If you plan on staying in SoCal, then Cal Poly Pomona is fine - many of the people you will be interviewing for jobs with will be Pomona grads themselves. USC or SCI-Arc might open a few more doors for you, but IMHO not worth the debt load (if your family is rich enough for debt load not to be a concern, you don't need my advice).

The only real value of "big name" schools is if you plan on a nationwide or international job search - if you're interviewing in New York or London, they won't have met as many Pomona grads as Pratt grads, so you'll get no benefit from Pomona's good reputation locally.

Apr 1, 19 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
betonbrut

I went to SLO years ago and never heard of anyone transferring between the two schools. Spent a year in Italy my fourth year where we had a combined SLO/Pomona studio and I thought the Pomona students were just as talented as the SLO students.

Apr 1, 19 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Abby2023

@atelier nobody

Thank you for your advise. I got what you mean. Probably I will stay in CA, I haven't been to NY. I do like to travel tho and was thinking to live in other places.

Yea, Pratt give me $25K scholarship and still left me $40K/year to attend which is nearly impossible and my family is not rich enough.

@Beton brut

Thank you for your input. I ask Prof. Cabrinha from SLO and he said only seing 1 student transfer from CPP to SLO so far. Do you think since its similar curriculum/course? And how about ar the workforce in LA, do you meet CPP arch graduated? Thanks.

Apr 1, 19 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"And how about the workforce in LA, do you meet CPP arch graduated?"

Many. There are a few large firms based in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga and thereabouts where the majority of employees are Pomona grads, and plenty of Pomona grads all over SoCal.

Apr 1, 19 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Abby2023

Thank you

Apr 1, 19 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: