Archinect
anchor

Advice on dimensioning roof or terrain slope in plan view

johnmcclenahan

I'm working with a colleague on developing a (free) plugin for the 3D drawing program Sketchup, to dimension slopes - as commonly used by architects for roofs, or civil engineers for road and railway terrain drawings.

I can find a range of examples in different styles, via a google search, of (mainly US) architects using roof slope dimensions in elevations, which show the rise over a 12" run.

But I've only been able to find one example of roof pitch being shown in a plan view. And so far, none for civil engineering terrain.

Is dimensioning a slope in plan commoner than my limited example suggests? If so, can anyone show us real-life examples of how slope dimensions are shown in plan view?

And we've found very few examples from users of metric dimensions in European or other non-US countries, even in elevation drawings. How is a slope commonly dimensioned there? Measured in degrees from horizontal? Rise per 100 units? y/x where x is a number such as 2, 5, 20, 50, 100? Something else?

Again, any examples would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

(BTW, I have searched this forum for 'dimension slope' and 'roof slope' and found nothing of relevance judging from the topic titles, and looking into possible ones.)

Mar 25, 19 5:11 pm
atelier nobody

As you have observed, in the US, roof slope is always indicated as x:12. The slope should always be noted in elevation and section views; noting it in plan view is optional. If noted in plan view, it is a simple open arrow showing the direction of the slope.

In site plans, the preferred way to indicate slope is with contours. Slopes in small areas (e.g. cross-slopes at pedestrian walkways) can be indicated with the same open arrow, noted as a % slope.

Mar 25, 19 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: