Archinect
anchor

Wait Listed At SCI-ARC

surprise_drug_test

I applied for the March.1 program at Sci-Arc, and considering my unique background and relatively short amount of time to apply, I went out on a limb and did not apply anywhere else. My stats are as follows:

GRE: V - 156 / Q - 150 / A - 4

Undergrad GPA: 2.75 with a degree in English but low number explained thoroughly.

Portfolio was strong, filled with sculpture, painting, digital work and writing.

Recommendations even stronger, including someone heavily involved with the school since their founding.

I am not sure if any of this information is helpful I think I just wanted to get it all off my chest as I am panicking. Anyone with insight, thoughts on my prospects of acceptance, or words of advice feel free to drop a comment.

Mar 12, 19 4:40 pm
tduds

What about your background makes it unique?

Have you worked in an architectural office before? If not (actually either way), keep your head up, get an internship (get paid) and try again in a year or two.

And for the love of God, next time apply to more than 1 school if you intend to get a a degree. Nothing's certain.

Mar 12, 19 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

[redacted]

Mar 12, 19 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
surprise_drug_test

The combination of an english degree with a low gpa, relatively zero architecture experience and a heavy background in fine art made SCI-Arc seem like the most logical destination in terms of fit and admission. I am also from LA so it was easiest to visit and get a feel for what grad school would look like. I have not worked in an architecture office, but have worked closely with architects that are friends, two of which wrote my recommendations. Thanks for the kind words of advice, knock on wood I get off this wait list.

Mar 12, 19 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
surprise_drug_test

The combination of an english degree with a low gpa, relatively zero architecture experience and a heavy background in fine art made SCI-Arc seem like the most logical destination in terms of fit and admission. I am also from LA so it was easiest to visit and get a feel for what grad school would look like.

I have not worked in an architecture office, but have worked closely with architects that are friends, two of which wrote my recommendations.

Thanks for the kind words of advice, knock on wood I get off this wait list.

Mar 12, 19 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Consider visiting the campus and meeting with an admissions rep or faculty member in person.   Communicate your qualifications and strong interest in attending, but avoid begging.

Mar 12, 19 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Is your mom's name Felicity or Lori by any chance?

Mar 12, 19 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If so, no stinkin' wait list for you! 

Update: unless it's in the Visitors Area at San Quentin.

Mar 12, 19 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

Haha...this made my day. To OP you’ll get off the waitlist if they don’t have enough suckers, I mean admittees that are willing to pay full tuition

Mar 13, 19 7:26 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

My top schools where I want to apply to are Oxford and the Sorbonne. But my safety's Harvard.

Mar 12, 19 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So you were wait-listed in a school that previous forum members noted was already pretty easy to get into?  How the fuck do you get such a shitty GPA with an English degree anyways?

Man... you should have made a greater effort and applied to more than one place.  If you graduate out of the wait list... then enjoy your 6-figure tuition bill.  

Mar 12, 19 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
surprise_drug_test

you seem pleasant

Mar 12, 19 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

he uses the metric system..... enough said

Mar 12, 19 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thank you, I, along with my logical metric system, are indeed pleasant.

Mar 12, 19 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Your chances of eventual admission off the wait list are likely pretty good IF you're able to wait it out, perhaps even late into the summer, right before the semester begins.  What happens is that the wait list thins out drastically after the spring acceptance deadline season, because most people on the list will choose to accept another school's offer rather than hold out hope - and that's generally a good decision if you've got another school's offer to take, because in the spring the wait list may have 50 people on it and spots will likely open for only 5 to 10 of them, if any at all.  But inevitably some confirmed admitted students change their minds at the very last minute.  If only a very few get cold feet in August then the school may not bother to accept additional people from the wait list at all that year.  But if more than a handful change their minds late then they may turn to the wait list - and at that point it's a short list.

Mar 13, 19 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: