Archinect
anchor

Aerodynamic tests for highrise buildings

milicapetrovic

Hi there. I'm a 3rd year architecture student currently working on a college project  (a100 story skyscraper). I was wondering if you could recommend some good software for doing an aerodynamics test for my building. Basically I need a program that will help me choose the shape of my building with an imported 3d model.

Thank you!

Mar 10, 19 6:40 pm
Non Sequitur

wind tunnel. 

Mar 10, 19 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

Autodesk Flow Design (virtual wind tunnel)

Mar 10, 19 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

When the Citicorp center was first built the calculations, which assumed wind hitting each face head on, were OK. Several years after it was built an architectural student and her professor wondered what would happen if the winds were at 45 degrees to the faces. Those results indicated that in high winds the very worst could happen. The building required massive bracing over a period of several months to make it safe. Moral of the story: Do wind tunnel tests after calculations.

Mar 11, 19 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

see my post above. I've visited one of the main wind-tunnel testing labs many years ago where they were running experiments on the mega tall dubai slave towers. Fascinating work, all with scale models and giant fans.

Mar 11, 19 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: