Archinect
anchor

CAD drafting on an airplane

RValu100

Has anyone experimented with trying to do CAD on a plane? I am thinking it might be possible with a mini-mouse and some creative use of the seatback tray. Any suggestions?

Mar 7, 19 10:08 am
Non Sequitur

I've never drafted on a plane but I did do quite a bit of drafting on trains a long time ago.  Small(ish) mouse and larger laptop works if you can use the palm rests for the mouse.  The problem was not so much the drafting but managing the heat from the laptop (at the time, a 1st gen Intel MBP) on / near your legs for an extended period of time.

Mar 7, 19 10:28 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

The laptop itself needs to be pretty small as well as the mouse.  Even a 15" machine can be a tight fit on a tray table.  There's not a lot of depth front to back.  You will need to mouse on the palm rests.  Years ago, I drafted on a ThinkPad and used the trackpoint instead of a mouse.  

Mar 7, 19 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Try CADing with no mouse for that 'old school' cred.

Mar 7, 19 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Are you seriously pressed for time or just want to make the most of your time on the plane and do a bit of cad and not be bored.

I'd say do everything to prevent doing cad on the plane and manage your time a little better...don't know how long your flight is but you'll be a useless wreck after if you fly like this.

Mar 7, 19 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Agreed... plus you totally look like a boss carrying just a few rolls of drawings and red pens on the plane. Maybe get bumped to first class.

Mar 7, 19 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

just make sure to bring the pens that don't explode after being in the pressurized cabin. This happens to me more times than I care to admit.

Mar 7, 19 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I've had rotary pens explode on the plane before, was a mess and messed up my notebooks.

Mar 8, 19 3:49 am  · 
 · 
RValu100

Thanks, once I have the autopilot set, there isn’t much to do except look a weather reports.

Mar 7, 19 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So, you're flying the plane?

Mar 8, 19 4:01 am  · 
 · 
tduds

hahahah.

Mar 8, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
AlinaF

9/10. I haven't had that a good laugh in years. Thank you!

Mar 8, 19 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Back in my day we used to bring drafting boards onto helicopters. Blade wind action would dry the India ink over Mylar super fast. 

Or maybe it was just a desk fan and no helicopters were involved. I forget. 

Millennials ruined this setup as well. 

Mar 7, 19 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

One may be able to do so.. I am too fat for it...

BTW, don't ever tell your boss that you can CAD on the plane...  

As a PM, I don't know what I would do with that capability..

'Oh are you flying to Hawaii for your vacation before 95% CD? is there anyway you can _______?  I certainly appreciate extra effort!'

Mar 7, 19 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Once you're on holiday just turn off your phone and don't promise anything.

Mar 8, 19 3:50 am  · 
 · 
Sitting Duck

Been there done that, got the t-shirt.

Use an ergonomic mouse, like Logitech M570, where you don't have to physically move the mouse position on a pad. I often place it on my laptop when I need to sit without an available desk. It takes about a morning to get use to, but I use this mouse now for everything. After a car crash it helped the tension in my right shoulder. There may be a similar product you like better but it's all around better for you than the standard mouses. Just pray you don't sit behind the jerk who lays their seat at a 150 deg radius. 

Mar 12, 19 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Love this thread. 

Aug 22, 19 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: