Archinect
anchor

HELP

Lola123

Hi,

This is my first post  so please be kind.

I am a part 1 architectural assistant,and have currently been in practice for over a year now. 

Even though I have been working for quite some time I feel like I know barely anything, even the simple of things. Other Part 1's that have joined recently seen to be doing so well, getting the work done quickly and confidently working, which the directors are recognising, and I just feel left behind.

I am also worried that I am slow at the work I am given because it is taking me time to understand things, or I haven't done it before or being over critical of myself. It's come to the point where I am even struggling with communicating or asking questions because I'm so nervous about getting things wrong or not saying the right thing.

Does anyone have reccomendations on any reading material or any advice that they could provide me with?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations to help me learn and understand: the industry, basic construction, terminology, how I can quicken my pace at work with tasks, and anything else that will help me feel more confident!

Many thanks in advance for the advice and I apologise if I have written anything incorrectly.    

Mar 5, 19 3:44 pm
G4tor

1. Has your direct manager said anything about your output?

2. Have you expressed your concerns to anybody besides this internet forum?

3. Read Ching's Building Code illustrated or Architectural Graphics Standard.

4. Mistakes are a part of the learning process.

Mar 5, 19 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'm replicating advise that was posted here and stuck with me: You've been hired to make it easier for your direct supervisor and bosses to do their job, so do what you can to do just that.

You know you need to ask questions at times because you get stuck and waste a lot of time trying to figure things out by yourself, and getting things wrong in those cases. Does that make it easier for your bosses, don't think so.

So organise your own feedback, when things start to get too complicated and you know you should ask someone for help just do, it will be difficult at first, but taking that first step will really help. It will be easier the next time. Every time you ask for help helps both you and your supervisors, you learn new things and they learn what you need to learn and can offer help and suggestions. Win-win.

Mar 5, 19 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

Read The Architect in Practice (covers professional practice)

Read Designing Buildings Wiki (industry knowledge database)

Read Barry's Construction of Buildings (basic construction textbook)

When in doubt, don't internalise, always ask. Group all your questions and review with your manager.

For speed learn software shortcuts.

Also, always carry a notebook with you. Take notes at meetings, when someone's showing you something new, when you are given a task.

Good luck!

Mar 5, 19 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Have you thought of the fact that your direct supervisors may not be good at delegating work and may be asking you to do things that you are just too green to do?

Mar 5, 19 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

Something that I always like to ask for/provide is a reference of past projects that may be applicable to your task at hand. 

If you can get a hold of "what was done in the past", whether it's a drawing set, a document, an image etc that would help greatly to at least set you up in the right direction.

hope this helps!

Mar 5, 19 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

++

Mar 5, 19 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: