Archinect
anchor

Code Question: Building a Parition at Chase Location

orangeyouhappy

Existing Conditions: at the entrance of an office building there is a curved wall that greets the lobby area. Behind this curved wall is a second existing partition that is straight and has been built to provide an orthogonal wall for the toilet room sinks.

Proposed: we are looking to "straighten" out this wall by building a new straight wall in front of the existing curved wall. is this allowed by code? for some reason I have it in my head that there is some kind of constraint for the amount of layers or barriers allowed (possibly for accessing the plumbing for the sinks??........just can't seem to find the code section for this)

please find the attached image illustrating the layout.

Mar 4, 19 4:40 pm
Non Sequitur

Hire an architect.

Mar 4, 19 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question.

Mar 5, 19 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, it does. If you hired a professional (and paid them), you would get your answer. Why would I give you this for free?

Mar 5, 19 11:48 am  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

Because we are part of a community. You could, you don't have to

Mar 5, 19 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

and what community is that?

Mar 5, 19 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

If you don't want to help out that's fine. Thank you for your time!

Mar 5, 19 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

It makes me laugh out loud how the OP thinks that he's part of a "community" when the only contribution that he's made to this forum is this post.

Mar 5, 19 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

which code are you required to follow?

Mar 5, 19 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

The miser's code: get it for free on the internet.

Mar 5, 19 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

throwing out "layers" and "barriers" makes me agree with Non....hire a professional!

Mar 5, 19 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

For those wondering - I finally found it. Code information can be found in section 718 - Concealed Spaces of the 2015 International Building Code and NFPA 13 - Installation of Sprinkler systems. 

Answer is that a wall can be built out with as many "layers" as needed - however the concealed space created might need to be provided with a sprinkler protection system depending on combustive materials, size and access of concealed space, and intended use. peace out.

Mar 5, 19 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Enjoy your incomplete assessment. Next time you’re looking for a meal, don’t bother paying the chèque after too.

Mar 5, 19 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
bass assassin

Lol.

Mar 6, 19 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

lol - I do what i want.

Mar 15, 19 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Put an access door hatch underneath one of the sinks and install a secret toilet in the void. Whoever discovers it will have a lifetime access of peaceful work poops. 

Mar 5, 19 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Jacq Arch

orange, 

You might want to start at the beginning of the book and other documents  before you start adding sprinklers. 

FYI, giving code advice is similar to giving law advice.

Mar 5, 19 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Orange,

Perhaps the easiest and surest way to do this is to call your local building department and talk to a plan checker.  

I would confirm that space is considered a concealed space.. 

Mar 6, 19 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: