Archinect
anchor

Cooper Carry and Studios

dominiond

Any thoughts on the culture of these firms? Are they firms that say they care but actually think of their employees as commodities?

Their work is corporate/developer focused and the offer I have is competitive with other firms in the area. At this point in my life and career (11 years and a parent)I want a firm that will provide a fulfilling, stable work environment and good projects (don’t have to be super design) and leadership that are truthful human beings that don’t consider you a cog in their machine or want you to run around doing everything (PA and PM and BD). for 70-80 hours a week. I value hard work and excellence but not at the expense of my well-being  and family relationships. Thanks for advice.

Feb 15, 19 2:39 pm
archinine
Wherever you wind up set a precedent for yourself on day 1 when it comes to live-work balance. It’s so easy to fall prey to unnecessary overtime that no one has asked of you by saying yes at 5:30pm, when there’s no negative repercussions for simply saying, I’ll add to my list for tomorrow.
Feb 15, 19 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

Thanks for advice- Out of curiosity, do you feel ok with that when a younger team member says that to you? Sometimes I catch myself unconsciously thinking “you have to pay your dues” about that person when I think that might be how I got into the OT
spiral.

Feb 15, 19 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

I worked at Cooper Carry years ago and it was a bit of a grind, though not the worst.  Most of that sweatshop culture is bullshit though.  If you think about the person who promotes it, be it the boss or coworkers, look at who you're trying to impress.  You'll always have to burn the midnight oil at times, and when young it can seem exciting on some wierd JC level, but in the long run it's not worth it because they'll do it to the next person.   

Feb 16, 19 6:52 am  · 
 · 
archinine
As a PM if I’m handing work off to a junior staff member I take responsibility for managing that person’s time as part of my management of the overall project. If there’s a situation where there’s more work to do than the junior can do, I pick up the slack. The buck stops with the person leading the project, from the drafting to managing client expectations. I don’t get upset at junior staff for leaving at a normal hour, I usually wind up kicking them out or only giving them a finite amount I know they can complete relatively quickly. Anything I’m handing off I can likely do myself in half the time anyway. While some upper staff put pressure on me when I was junior to overwork, I always drew the line at weekends and rather quickly learned to ‘manage’ the people managing me.

My story may be different as I worked for quite some time prior to entering architecture and always found the burnout culture to be wildly counterproductive and not something I’d seen in other industries. I can’t imagine the mindset for those who have only ever worked in burnout arch firms thinking that’s the only way a business can operate.
Feb 16, 19 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: