Archinect
anchor

Who needs an architect?

Volunteer

An interior designer in Miami says he designed this waterfront house himself on the lot that held his childhood home. Not bad, if true...(todays WSJ)

Feb 13, 19 2:30 pm
Non Sequitur

meh, could be anywhere.  Plus that's just a rendering.  Anyone can design anything.

Feb 13, 19 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is the interior designer dude in front of his family home, which has not been razed yet, on the Intracostal Waterway in Hallandale Beach, FL

Feb 13, 19 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the original looks better

Feb 13, 19 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If you think you're skilled enough to fix your own car, you don't need a mechanic. The mechanic is there to save you the headache of taking your car apart and then finding out you're not skilled enough to put it back together.

Residential architecture serves a similar role.

Feb 13, 19 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A lot of people are skilled enough to work on their own cars. I have disassembled a V-8 right down to the crankshaft and reassembled it. It went 200,000 miles after the rebuild. This house, to me, is attractive. It certainly is not a McMansion, many of which have been designed by architects.

Feb 13, 19 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't find the design very well thought out.

Feb 14, 19 9:26 am  · 
 · 
tduds

A lot of people are skilled enough to build their own homes. 

Feb 13, 19 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

And to design them.

Feb 13, 19 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Indeed. We are a service profession. We provide a service for people who can't do it themselves. We aren't a societal necessity.

Feb 14, 19 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

The one thing I could easily see not being thought out is the glass. That needs to be a large missile impact rated assembly and given the span may even have to be window wall system. Definitely not cheap.

Feb 14, 19 8:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

this is a good point, and certainly not something your typical interior designer would think of. Those hurricane proof mullions (and steel reinforcement) are not the paper-thin models used in the rendering.

Feb 14, 19 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Amazingly, small mullions and even butt glazing can be done. The span is more what I question. Did a project a few years back in Florida with floor-to-ceiling (12’) glass and we were limited to about 4’ - 6’ wide. Even that was expensive and the owner and contractor were constantly complaining and trying to find places to not do an impact rated system.

Feb 14, 19 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

are you suggesting you can get 4" deep impact resistant mullions? I agree, the c/l spacing is likely to be a bigger factor.

Feb 14, 19 10:11 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Interesting, and here I was focused on a balcony without a railing and stair with some version of partial (metal?) wall that also wouldn't pass as a code compliant railing system. *shrug* I guess we all see different issues first.

Feb 14, 19 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

NS, not 4” deep but 6” deep with a 2 1/2” sight. Joe, the balcony has a glass railing that is just barely visible with a yellowish tint. I believe Florida allows a lot of leeway for single family residential stairs.

Feb 14, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good to know Steeple. Anyone know the orientation of that large glazed wall? Would love to see the AC bills if it's a south facing wall.

Feb 14, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Steeplechase - what is a 'sight' when referring to mullions ?

Feb 14, 19 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ mullion width. Called sightlines.

Feb 14, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Totally missed the yellow translucent plane in the model, good eye. Now I'm wondering how the yellow translucent plane actually becomes a railing system.

Feb 14, 19 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The house fronts the Intracostal which runs north/south through Hallandale. Not sure which side it is on so the water side would face either due east or due west, but not south. It would be a lot of fun just to sit on the second floor deck and watch the boats go by.

Feb 14, 19 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Looks like Dj Khaled's home in Miami

Feb 14, 19 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I could take out my own appendix if I wanted.  The after effects are another matter.

Feb 14, 19 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Volunteer, could you link to or summarize the original article? Is the article itself questioning the need for architects?

Feb 14, 19 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

All the large unobstructed openings suggest there will be need for some meaty steel beams, which suggests it's a steel structure throughout. At that point you are going to put a pitched roof that is wood framed? Pretty stupid. 

This is 2nd year architecture studio "barely passed" fodder. 

Feb 14, 19 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

^ Here is the link. It may have a pay wall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...

The Wall Street Journal article was mainly about Hallandale being transformed from a "scruffy" beach town between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale to the next big (expensive) thing. What caught my eye was the claim that the owner, an interior decorator, claims to have designed it himself. The house reminds me of some of Marcel Kogan's work in Brazil. Several other houses were profiled but whether an architect was responsible or not was not mentioned.

Feb 14, 19 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is the website of the interior decorator who says he designed his house:

http://troydeaninteriors.com/

I tend to be cautious of anything from south Florida.

Feb 14, 19 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

looks like he does good work. I' m sure that he designed that house, I doubt that he did CD's for it.

Feb 15, 19 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I don't have anything against people designing and building their own homes, they're usually great advertisements for hiring an architect.

Feb 15, 19 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: