Archinect
anchor

Portfolio: How to Differentiate between Physical Models and Renders

MarthaKinLA

I'm updating my portfolio, and I've found that many people cannot tell that some of the images are photographs of physical models - not renderings. Is there a standard way to graphically indicate one versus the other?

Thanks!

Feb 11, 19 6:26 pm
tduds

Photorealistic scale figures. If they're missing, I assume it's not a render.

Also nice humblebrag about your model building skills.

Feb 11, 19 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

or really bad renderings

Feb 11, 19 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ding ding ding.

Feb 11, 19 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’d say the visible glue and cut/lazer marks would be an obvious thing, but maybe I’m giving your audience too much credit… or assuming too much of your rendering skills. 

Feb 11, 19 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I always include laser marks and glue spots in my renders

Feb 12, 19 3:10 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

If you're building physical models that end up looking just like renderings then... why are you building models?  Seems like a waste of time and materials.  If this is a sincere question:  the "standard" way to explain anything in a portfolio is to have captions and/or a little bit of explanatory text.  Label the rendering "Rendering of Northeast Corner".  Label the model "Model:  museum board, plaster, and packing peanuts."

Feb 12, 19 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

render vs reality

Feb 12, 19 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Lewis Garrison

Honest question here. Why does it matter. The purpose of the imagery is  show your skills at communicating your design ideas. If you feel it's absolutely necessary just label the images.

Feb 18, 19 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: