Archinect
anchor

What is the general I.Q. for an architect?

wynne1architect@gmail.com

As a single white male, could I be this smart?

Feb 9, 19 2:10 pm
Non Sequitur

Feb 9, 19 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Not once in my professional life did I stop and go "wow I work with idiots". But then I come to this website, and I don't know any more about how smart or dum architect are. 

Feb 9, 19 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

*dumb

Feb 9, 19 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

stop being dum, rando.

Feb 9, 19 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

*dumber

Feb 9, 19 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 
wynne1architect@gmail.com

Spelling does count.

Feb 9, 19 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Feb 9, 19 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

not high enough to avoid this profession

Feb 9, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The 2002 Hauser study of IQ for various professions found an average IQ of 120-130 for architects - roughly the same range as for surgeons, lawyers, and engineers.  That range straddles the line between "superior" and "very superior" intelligence.  Professions with higher averages than architects included professors, scientists, and "top civil servants."
But other studies have found architects to be in the 110-120 range - so spanning the "normal/average" to "superior" ranges. Architectural drafters in all studies land somewhere around the 100 mark - i.e. dead average.

The architect IQ range might help explain why architects in general don't tend to be great at business.  Supposedly people with IQs above 120 or so tend to be less successful business people and leaders, possibly because they overthink and second guess more.  The optimal IQ for success in business is supposedly the +/- 110 zone.

Feb 9, 19 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

17year old study?

Feb 9, 19 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

There are more recent studies, and older ones.  The Hauser study broke down professions into finer categories (i.e. different types of engineers and such) than most other studies, but they've all found fairly similar ranges for architects. Anyway the demographics of architecture haven't changed too strikingly in those 17 years, so not too much reason to think average IQ would be markedly different.

Feb 9, 19 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: