Archinect
anchor

paul was right.

placebeyondthesplines

though i disagree with the characterization that my comments on this forum are exclusively mean or exclusively about portfolio feedback (or both), i have indeed been a complete asshole on here for no good reason many, many times. 

it started as a general frustration with the lack of respect given our discipline/profession by prospective students; i find it insulting that applicants who know (without any doubt whatsoever -- the abysmal GPA crowd, primarily) that their previous academic performance would prevent them from attending elite programs in literally any other professional field...might be able to squeak in via architecture. this path is not and should not be a backdoor for prestige-hunting underachievers (of course there are exceptions to this, but any regular visitor to the academia forum will know precisely the kind of post i am referencing).

i stand by that frustration, but i am indeed embarrassed by what it has steadily grown into. criticism and realistic appraisal can and should be given without cruelty, and i sincerely apologize for the numerous times that i have taken my comments to a hurtful and personal level. 

most recently with Donna. i'm sorry i said those things. that's not the kind of person i want to be. 

so from now on i will make every effort to be as constructive with my comments as possible. that's not to say that i'm always going to say what posters are obviously wanting to hear, but i'm not going to be mean anymore. i don't want to be a blight on this or any other forum, and it's really not that hard to just decide not to be. i'll only post from this account from now on, no underscores or periods or alt accounts (and truly, that splinesbetweentheplace person was never me) because i don't intend to be banned from any threads.

i'm sorry.

Feb 7, 19 6:09 pm

Well, I can see now that I wasn't right in my judgement of your character because this response is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting. I get the frustration you have, and I think hard, honest truth is often necessary, but I think criticism is always most effective when the feedback acknowledges the good and the bad. 

You haven't been banned because we see the value you bring. Thanks for this post, glad to have you here. 

Feb 7, 19 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, places, we’ve ALL said stupid shit we regretted later. I’ve done it SO many times on here. In part I choose to be non-anonymous because I need to check myself against my own horrible instincts to be an asshole!  It’s all ok. It’s all fun, for the most part, and usually educational too!

Feb 7, 19 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

said from your ano account.

Feb 7, 19 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

liberty bell = Donna Sink, as should be obvious. No one knows my *real* anonymous account.

Feb 7, 19 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, we all know your real ano account is Jawknee Music.

Feb 7, 19 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Well said 'splines.

I try more these days to criticize ideas more than the people, but being consistent at that requires more discipline than I'm willing to promise. Perhaps Paul can implement a 2 Guinness minimum requirement before jumping into the academic side of the forum.

I do agree with your observations and feel that the fire lit by large quantity of one-time posters looking for either a short-cut into academia (or with homework) or free advice tends to burn longer than necessary... sometimes... but in the last year or so, I think that for every 3 folio review's I've commented aggressively on, 1 has come back to me via PM for more information, which I happily provided under my real name. 

so, where are we on this Guinness improvement?

Feb 7, 19 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Well I'm gonna try to be more of a dick. Gotta keep the forum in balance...

Feb 7, 19 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

I think I have that part covered.

Feb 8, 19 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've already given one civil folio review response. I feel I've done my part for the month.

Feb 8, 19 11:19 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Let the orgy of blackface confessions begin.

Feb 7, 19 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

AltaVista this: "Zwarte Piet 2018 Nederland"

Feb 8, 19 3:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Group hug?

Feb 8, 19 3:26 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

oft times the hard honest truth is rejected as insult 

this is a measure of the one receiving it, not the one delivering it

Feb 8, 19 10:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

^ "I can sense your hostilities"

Feb 8, 19 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: