Archinect
anchor

Recruiting drinkers?

ennisdavis

Is this a common practice now to recruit young people like google does with pizza and popcorn. i have noticed a few firms promoting drinking at work. This is why lawyers make the big $$$.

https://designstylesarchitectu...

Feb 7, 19 2:41 pm
thisisnotmyname

It's usually a scheme to get the staff to work longer hours.  I worked at firms where the free pizza dinner was designed to keep you in the office up to and after 5:30 pm.  There would be free drinks on Fridays from 4:30-5:30, which was supposed to keep people from ducking out early.  

The money spent on food and drink was peanuts compared to the extra hours they gained from the salaried staff working more than 40 hours a week for no extra pay.

Feb 7, 19 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Google doesn't do it for recruiting - it's to encourage efficiency and longer work hours (less time employees spend on choosing lunch and dinner destinations, the more they work... I've seen some coworkers spend hours making dinner plans).

The idea with showcasing social aspect in posts is to impress on people that they get along and have fun.  It can be very depressing to be 9-6 and not engage with coworkers beyond projects and courtesy conversations.  I've noticed that the beer in the fridge is not a day drinking thing at many of these firms, not even sure they get drunk much at all.

Feb 7, 19 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Office social and alcohol-related events are only as good as the people attending. If your firm has a lot of toxic and/or difficult people, the forced social activities are generally not fun.

Feb 7, 19 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Most public procurement I work on requires us to sign a drug and alcohol free work place statement.  

No hooch here. 

Feb 7, 19 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That’s crazy.

Feb 7, 19 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

In my experience, the companies that market their "fun" super hard do so because their work-environment and output-quality are mediocre and they need a carrot to bring in actual talent.

The best firms are the ones that drink quietly.

Feb 7, 19 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

I have found that the quality of the work (whatever that actually means) is not at all related to the working environment and the talent of the folks in that office. Sometimes you get clients and commissions that are not going to be sexy or interesting. But having good work life balance is for many much more important than working in the shadow of a starchitect.

Feb 7, 19 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

Disappointed, I thought this was going to be an invitation.

Feb 7, 19 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

ditto /very sad/... I thought it was a job offer :)

Feb 7, 19 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe they are recruiting drinkers, try showing up drunk there for the interview to find out.

Feb 7, 19 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

"I like Beer, OK... I go drinking with my friends Squee and....its clearly noted in my calendar..... I like beer!"

Feb 7, 19 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: