Archinect
anchor

Cost of As-Built for home or DIY for creating as-built in AutoCad

cosmos56

Hi all, I found this forum while doing a google search for the cost of as-built designs. I am currently in the process of renovating the kitchen in my house and I interviewed a few architects for the job. One of them, came by last week, looked at everything and told me he would send me a proposal in a few days. I followed up with him yesterday and today he responded saying he has too much work and respectfully declines taking on the project (I'm not happy he didn't say anything until I reached out). 

Anyway, he talked about measuring the house so it can be put into AutoCad for the renovations, and another architect we spoke to after him said the same thing. The first guy who doesn't want to take the project said it would be close to around $40K to re-create the drawings for the house, so I had told him I only want it for the are the work would be done in. The 2nd architect said it would be around $10-15k just for the first floor, and again, I said due to costs and budgeting, I would only want the area being worked in drawn, and she understood.

Now, not to step on anyone's toes or be disrespectful toward the profession of Architects (I know its not an easy profession), but I started thinking I would do the drawings myself if this is what it's going to cost to get them done by a firm. I have access to AutoCad although I do not know how to use it. Being an electrical engineer myself, I feel as if though I should be able to pick it up without too much trouble. I would rather spend the hours needed to create the drawing myself and put the money saved towards the renovation instead of having a big chunk of it taken up by drawings. 

So, I have 2 questions, what usually is somewhat of an average cost for a firm to create as-built drawings for a home which is ~6000 sqft. in AutoCad?

2nd question is, if I try to attempt this myself (I'm not saying I will succeed, but I'd definitely like to try), are there any guides or such (with the do's and dont's) anyone could point me towards when it comes to measuring for AutoCad so that I can be as accurate as possible with my measurements and try to put it into AutoCad myself?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you very much in advance!

Jan 28, 19 1:04 pm
Non Sequitur

As-built for the whole thing... including services, finishes, details?  Probably the same thing as it would cost if it was a new project. 2 weeks time drafting plus a few site visits certainly will reach 10k+ easily.  If it's just the kitchen for the purpose of a reno, then it's significantly less as the scope is now 1/10th.  Obviously, this does not factor in design scope and associated costs. 

If you would hire an architect to design your kitchen reno, they would probably absorb the cost of the as-built within their design fee but since I suspect you're doing the reno yourself, this is probably why you're getting a big quote.

As for doing the work yourself, well... go for it.  You don't need an arch license to measure and input dimensions.  You'll only have one person to blame when things don't come out right. 

Jan 28, 19 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

6,000 SF house and he's quibbling about architectural fees. 

We truly are living in The Age of Entitlement.

Jan 28, 19 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ikea has a great web-browser kitchen design tool. It's free to use at home, or you can pay $100 and have a staff person walk you through it. Sounds like that's what the OP needs (or wants to pay for).

Jan 28, 19 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: