Archinect
anchor

Tall Buildings

Continuum Consulting Eng.

According to United Nations, the world population will reach 9.2 Billion by 2050 and it is projected 7 out of every 10 people will live in the urban areas. Considering the limited availability of land for new developments, it will be inevitable to employ Vertical Urbanism as a remedy to accommodate the increasing world population. How do future tall buildings look like? what will be more important: Construction Cost? Construction Speed? Functionality vs. Aesthetics?

Jan 27, 19 7:25 pm

High rises are reserved for the 1%. The rest will live in slums centered on garbage dumps out of which they will mine their existence.

Jan 27, 19 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

there won't be enough land to spread out the slums. we'll have to build vertical 4-story wood favelas

Jan 27, 19 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

All recycled materials - this is the future.

Jan 28, 19 10:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

http://www.designindaba.com/ar...

Jan 28, 19 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Those are amazing -

Jan 28, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Looked him up, amazing work. instagram/kidcadaver

Jan 28, 19 11:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Only knew this project, but his other stuff is very interesting too.

Jan 28, 19 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

this subject is not new... do some research and you'll see countless examples of previous identical ideas.  Architecture cannot solve this.

Jan 27, 19 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Is evolo launching another competition?

Jan 28, 19 3:47 am  · 
 · 
Continuum Consulting Eng.

Nothing to do with Evolo competition. I'm just interested to hear the architects' perspective. From the engineering point of view, Scale, is a challenging problem. Not only the technical issues but also economical aspects.

Jan 28, 19 11:40 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what will be more important: In-situ energy production, In-situ recycling, preservation of existing biomass, recreation of wildlife habitat.

Jan 28, 19 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

Check out Soleri 

Jan 28, 19 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The empire building-shaped rocket ship is a nice touch.

Jan 28, 19 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Currently there are about 8 acres of land in the US for every resident.

Jan 28, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Yes, but all of that is need for private enterprise, recreation, and vacation houses.

Jan 28, 19 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

unless we start eating insects and farming vertically it’s insignificant.  More land is used to sustain us than contain us.  

Jan 28, 19 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Urban residents just export their land consumption.

Jan 28, 19 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

for once, I completely agree with you! but a change in eating habits is also needed - goes through the food industry to stop pushing cheap fats and sugars.

Jan 28, 19 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Our eating habits are a result of centuries of removing ourselves from direct contact and proximity to our food source. Out of site out of mind.
We wouldn’t accept the disgusting conditions of factory farming if we lived close enough to smell it.

Jan 28, 19 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Our survival used to be direct. We are evolutionarily hard wired for that. Our survival now is abstract and removed. The only way to make people more sustainable imo is to bring those sources closer to home. Urban farming is a start, but not enough. Broad acre city is actually not such a bad idea.

Jan 28, 19 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I agree, I had this weird idea when I was in school and in urbanism classes, somehow I've never bought the premise that humans have to live in cities or cities are natural habitats for us; there is a problem with numbers that's always being pushed down by expanding this outsourcing of food, water,waste, etc.

Jan 28, 19 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Philadelphia has been losing residents since 1960, Chicago has lost a million since 1950, and Baltimore has hit a 100 year old low. Some cities like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas have gained but I am not sure there is any kind of crisis here. The last time I was there Philadelphia looks a lot like like the photo that Miles posted.

Jan 28, 19 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The existence of urban areas whose populations have declined doesn't affect the larger statistical trend that the human population overall is urbanizing.

Jan 28, 19 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That said - there is a massive amount of un- / under-utilized land in existing urban areas, especially in the United States + Canada.

Sustainable urbanism isn't going to require super-tall apartment complexes or arcology-like megastructures. 3 and 4-plexes, garden apartments, rowhouses, etc. can satisfy the demand for urban residences in all but the most crowded cities (Manhattan, basically) without expanding the urban boundary significantly.

Jan 28, 19 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Philly is in the midst of a massive redevelopment boom, a.k.a. gentrification.

Jan 28, 19 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: