Archinect
anchor

I want to start a Firm

DarkHorse

Hello All,

I hope you all are doing great. I know I am in the right place to ask the right questions(well, you must have guessed from the Title of this thread). To give you all a little background about myself, I am 29 years old and an accomplished Data Analyst working full time with good pay. I love my current job but I am also fascinated by good architecture. I would like to explore the idea of utilizing the IT skills and knowledge in Architecture and add value to the Architecture industry through IT. I was thinking of getting into architecture as a side hustle in addition to my current job. I have done some research and here are my findings as to how I can get into the architecture business:

1. Get a bachelor's degree in Architecture, then get into M.Arch and get hands on photography, graphic design, sketching, drawing skills. This one sounds like a very elaborate career path with me looking at 5-7 years from now before I can make something out of myself in the industry.

2. The next option is to get in M.Arch without any architecture background and work your way through with a lot of difficulty and build a portfolio in the mean time to make myself competitive out there in the industry and still I must be looking at 3-5 years.

3. I am not quite sure about this option but I always believe that there is always another way out. the third option is to continue working full time in my current job, save lots of money over the next few years and start a firm on my own. The down side to this could be that If I don't learn the art of the trade, I will never be able to reach my potential.

Here"s your (all the architects who are working in the industry) part to play. I would like to get your opinions on what are my best chances at having an architecture firm of my own.

I understand that a lot of you will think "why do you want to start a business in an industry that you have no knowledge of? and why don't you think of starting a business in IT industry itself?" 
My fiance is an Architect and we are to get married soon. I would like to establish this firm for her as a present and probably we both can work together for the rest of our lives(or I can contribute to her work).

Looking forward to some brilliant ideas from intelligent ya'll.

Love

DarkHorse

Jan 26, 19 11:25 am
Non Sequitur

what do you know about A. Putting buildings together and B. Running a business?  

Jan 26, 19 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Architecture is not a side hustle...

Jan 26, 19 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

DarkHorse = Mr. Morais? 

Jan 28, 19 8:50 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

I want to be an astronaut.

Jan 28, 19 10:15 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'architecture as a side hustle'... does this mean you want to flip houses?  Design skyscrapers? Learn modeling software and enter competitions?

What aspect of owning a firm sounds fun?  From what I've seen in the firm I work for, it is a lot of interviewing for potential projects, talking to (sometimes disgruntled) clients, balancing the books, and making staffing decisions.  You probably have very little to do with actually overseeing work on-site or making design decisions.

Similar to what Rick has said, in many states, you can't legally start a firm unless the majority owner is licensed. Additionally, without a license, you are limited to the type of work you can pursue.  This works for a lot of people, but you have to be well aware of your legal limits before beginning work.  And you also need insurance, a lawyer, and probably an accountant.

It would be wise that your soon-to-be wife be completely on board with this venture as I'm not sure I'd be happy if I found out my husband established a new business that I now have to run.

Jan 28, 19 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

nothing says I respect your profession and the process you took to get there than thinking one can just "set up" a practice on a whim. Is it just me, or are the software engineer folks the worse at thinking they can run anything?

Jan 28, 19 10:23 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Talk to your fiance.

Jan 28, 19 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

This should be the bare minimum starting point. Are you sure your fiance even wants to run her own firm? Is she actually ready for it?

Jan 28, 19 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

You will increase the likelihood for Divorce by 1000%

Jan 28, 19 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I was just talking to my long-term significant other (also an architect) about this. He said this was one of his #1 dealbreakers and he would most certainly leave me if I ever 'gifted' him a firm he didn't expressly say he wanted. (I am pretty sure he was only partially joking.)

Jan 28, 19 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
DarkHorse
Thanks to all those who added value to the discussion.

To clear the question surrounding “architecture as a side hustle”, I meant to ask getting to learn and master education in architecture while working in my current profession. The major reason being the finances. You need money to get into a school for education so I don’t want to quit working until I have established something.

Regarding my fiance’s take on owning a firm, she herself had expressed her idea of owning an architecture firm in 5 years from now. But as I understand, if I want to start a firm in any profession, I need to be educated and have hands on experience in that profession otherwise that will be a failure even before it starts. 5 years from now is not far away so I am trying to figure out how I can make use of all the time that I have and invest my efforts in doing what I aspire to do.

Talking about running a firm whether it is fun or not, I have had my share of experience in dealing with clients on projects as a Business Analyst(although in software industry but the business rules apply the same everywhere. You just need to get acquainted with the Profession and be knowledgeable to be able to attract clients. That’s where the education in architecture part comes into picture). I know its not easy to run a firm but neither is doing anything new.

PS: If you have questions that can add value to the discussion, please ask. Otherwise please take your insecurities elsewhere. Thank you.
Jan 28, 19 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Insecurities? Ha... You're so very naive it's cute. Stick to what you know. Learning and being successful in architecture is not as simple as you imply. Certainly your fiance can tell you that and having design & technical chops is just as important as marketing. That first part is not something you can just pick up on the side in your spare time.

Jan 28, 19 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I apologize if any of my questions came off as pointed. That was not my intent. I think Rick has some good suggestions in terms of helping out in a firm as a minority owner. If you are intent on becoming a majority owner, than in many places you will need a licensed. If you already have a bachelor's degree, you will need an MArch in most states. It is good to look at your state's paths to licensure to make sure you understand. Most MArch programs that are geared toward students without a bachelors in architecture are minimum of 3 years. So that leaves 2 years for you to get experience. I would suggest working in a small firm that way you can get a lot of different experience. In most places, two years at most places equates to doing a lot of drawing with very little experience doing much else - depending on where you can go.

Jan 29, 19 9:43 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

The reason I asked about what you would find fun is because some come here looking to become an architect thinking it will lead them to being famous top designers. I would venture to say the majority of architects (and firm owners) do not do this kind of high design decision making, at least not on a daily basis. If you enjoy business, then working as a firm owner would probably be a good fit.

I think I may have misconstrued your question; it sounded as though you were looking for a shortcut in a profession where it takes a long time to cultivate a career.  5-7 years of education, 2+ years of apprenticeship, 1+ years of exams; you're looking at 8 years minimum to get to be called an Architect, at least in the US.  

Additionally, I would argue that it IS different than being a Business Analyst in that there is inherent risk.  Not just money.  If you mess up, and someone dies as a result of your oversight, you're at fault.  People get sued all of the time for negligence.

Jan 29, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the only way to start a firm is having real clients that would amount to your expected yearly sales. if you don't have them, keep your day job and do moonlighting until that critical mass is up to speed.

Jan 28, 19 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Darkhorse, first of all, do not pay too much attention to the "pointed" remarks here. Most people on these threads (myself included) are burnt out or are getting reamed in the business every day.

My simple answer to your question is - are you f***in crazy? If you love architecture so much and have the moolah, why dont you get into the development biz. You will probably enable a lot of good built work by being a client rather than an architect. And no, contrary to what people say, architecture is not rocket science, quite the opposite. Think of yourself spending a LOT of time fielding dumb and rude questions from contractors, clients etc etc etc.

Jan 28, 19 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The day to day stuff is not complicated, but finding clients and sustaining a business is not. Perhaps the op can just buy an existing firm with repeat clients. Certainly there is some old jaded 80y old principle looking to cash out to someone chasing a romantic illusion of architecture.

Jan 28, 19 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

hey, not a bad idea, I'm sure my boss would like to sell the business with me inside, but I doubt the OP would want to move here.

Jan 28, 19 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

NS, thats a great idea, let me approach the partners here. Im sure they are 100% ready to cash out and move on!

Jan 28, 19 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

I want to be a movie star. 

Jan 28, 19 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

So you wanna be a rock superstar?

Jan 28, 19 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: