Archinect
anchor

Trouble with unreasonable novice - what are my options?

alex445

Hello, I need advice on how to deal with someone whom I hired to design a 2-story ADU in Los Angeles. I know small claims court is an option but it would delay our project. I'm looking for any other ideas.

Here's the story

After we paid this person  in full, we found out from contractors who reviewed the plans, that she made numerous mistakes, including very poor referencing, missing detail (i.e. missing drains and slope) and existence of numerous detail that don't belong to our plans, bathrooms that are so small (5'x5' 3/4 baths - see attached photo) they are not functional for larger people and many expensive features that render construction way beyond our budget (double walls, non-standard windows throughout, mitered-cornered windows, large steel very expensive canopies, tall ceilings). 

We had asked her to design a simple ADU for rental in Reseda, California, which is populated mostly by middle-class or below middle  immigrants. Her design is pretty but would cost double our budget.

Small example of many: door and window schedules are incomplete. They refer to things that don't exist or don't contain the right sizes. Or she put in all the inside doors at 7 foot, instead of the standard 6' 8" (which would require custom orders, long wait and at least double the cost). Or aluminum windows throughout when we can afford only vinyl.

The detail pages contain details for a "garage door" when we don't have a garage! Or numerous 2-hour or 1-hour fire walls, when we don't have any fire walls. The floor plans not only are missing numerous measurements and references, sometimes they are missing crucial items. Like there's a hole in one wall and just half a window, no measurements and no mention of this in the window schedule (see attached photo). The balcony railing is labeled as glass. It's actually metal. 

To this date we still don't know which of the floor and wall details are the ones that are to be used. There are virtually no bubbles pointing to the corresponding details.

We took the plans to multiple professionals and even the city plan checker who approved the plans. All confirm plans need to be corrected. 

At first she would not respond to any of my emails. Then she referred me to structural engineer whom she had hired and I had never met. Then on telephone she said her plans are perfect and others are just bad mouthing her. After we finally managed to see her in person,  she said she is willing to correct the errors but then called the next day and said I insulted her because I sent an email asking to confirm her promises and told us never to contact her again. 

We persisted through her mother, who is my wife's classmate and had originally made the introduction. Today, after almost seven weeks of chasing her, she said she would correct her the errors but to change the floor plan and get rid of items to meet our construction budget, she wants to get paid for 17 hours @ $150 hour just to change the plans (get rid of the double walls, put in standard windows, enlarge the dysfunctional bathrooms, etc.). Then we'd be on our own to go to the structural engineer and the city plan review. 

She says she is not responsible for designing something that is way beyond our budget because we approved a floor plan and 3D drawing she emailed us after we hired her. We had no meetings with her during the 10 months she took to design and walk through the permitting process (double the five months she had originally promised) because we were mostly overseas. She just put in the expensive features (like the double walls, mitered-corner windows, canopies, 7-foot doors, double walls) without advising us of the cost.

The worst thing has been the sheer emotional exhaustion of dealing with this person. She screams at us, constantly telling us how we are hurting her emotionally! We have to watch what and how we say things lest she again gets up and tells us to leave her office. Every mention of the word "mistake" can cause her to erupt, accusing us of insulting her. She never lets us to finish our sentences, constantly argues, accusing us of wasting her time or needlessly repeating ourselves. 

She says we don't have any business questioning her work because we're not professionals. Protocol calls for the contractor to contact her with any questions, she says.  "Why are you even here? I don't have time for this," she says over and over. (Our contractor had called her in the past but she managed to scream at him too. He says he doesn't want to deal with her. )

She says she will successfully defend herself in any court and would countersue us for numerous things she claims she did for free outside our agreement (which we never asked her to do). 

Everyone we've talked to says that she deserves being sued. One contractor we spoke to says he will come to court and testify free of charge, "just because what you're going through is so unfair."

But we want to build now and we've lost precious time already. 

Plus she has the design files. To hire someone else would require drawing everything from scratch.

I'm guessing she doesn't care about negative reviews. She only has a presence on HomeAdvisor.com and no reviews. She uses multiple names online and claims to have 16 years experience on her company website when in fact we can document only a six-month stint at another firm before starting her office in 2017. 

Can anyone recommend anything other than going to court? I know it's not a lot of money but after all the crap we've had to tolerate and time we lost, to hand over more money to this person, it really really HURTS. 

Jan 26, 19 11:32 am
( o Y o )

Why would you want the plans if they aren't worth a shit?

Take credit for getting yourself into this by hiring someone without doing the proper vetting (client references, etc.). I'm guessing the poor service reflects a dirt cheap price. Professional service isn't cheap.

A good strategy for small projects is to start with contractors and let them recommend architects.

There is nothing to be gained from further engagement with this person, that bridge has burned. Either walk away or go to court, in either case you need to start over. Try not to let this experience color your perception of all architects. It's just like everything else, they are good ones and bad ones.

Jan 26, 19 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Perhaps I should've explained more:

Jan 27, 19 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

We've already paid her fee of $7,500 and about $3000 to a structural engineer she hired and we never met. Then we paid nearly $10,000 to the city of Los Angeles.

The plans are already fully permitted. Yes, dealing with this person is very painful but we don't have the budget to just walk away and start from zero. She knows that and hence she feels she can be abusive and demand more payments. 

The reason I posted to this forum is for ideas on how to deal with this person. From what I know so far, going to small claims court is really the only option. But even there she can claim we are ignorant about her profession. We would have to bring an expert with us. 

If only there was a place at the city's building and safety or some other place where people could take their conflicts and not have to go to court.

Jan 27, 19 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

If the plans are already permitted then some of the items you've mentioned really don't need to happen. For example, removing things that probably originated from her generic template, such as details for garage doors that you don't have, and fire walls that you don't have. Those should have been removed, that's true, but it's really not uncommon for a firm's whole standard wall types list and details to remain in a set even though some don't apply to that particular project - the designer could just issue a direction for the contractor to ignore the unused types. Also if you want to swap all the 7'-0" doors for 6'-8" doors, that sort of thing can happen by written change order - she really doesn't need to redraw them all. If you absolutely can't afford the time and $$ to start over with another architect then I'd suggest trying to calmly negotiate a shorter list of drawing changes with her. Stick to those items that can't be explained/changed by written change order - i.e. major design issues only - such as reconfiguring the bathrooms and adding vital missing dimensions.

Jan 27, 19 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

this is a great clusterfuck. Push for small claims to recoup something and move on with a real professional. 

Jan 26, 19 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

do you know what would take to win in small claims court? Her claim is that the city permitted her plans so how could that be bad plans? We have nothing written on the budget we gave her.

Jan 27, 19 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Two novices in that scenario: designer and client.

Except now you're no longer a novice.  You've learned the (painful) lesson to ask for client references and to see examples of built work.  Whether or not you recoup her fee, the lesson is the most valuable part of this for you.

Jan 26, 19 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Yes, I agree. It has been a painful and expensive lesson. But at least I know more.

Jan 27, 19 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Next time if you use a standard AIA agreement there’s a clause that states they have to redesign for free if the design goes over budget. Granted this means you both agree to a budget before the architect starts.

Jan 27, 19 10:39 am  · 
1  · 
alex445

We gave her a budget and repeatedly stressed that we want something modest but we have no written proof of these conversations.

Jan 27, 19 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

how much money was sunk into this hack? 

Jan 27, 19 11:16 am  · 
 · 
alex445

We've already paid her fee of $7,500 and about $3000 to a structural engineer she hired and we never met. Then we paid nearly $10,000 to the city of Los Angeles.

Jan 27, 19 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Jan 27, 19 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Wow

Jan 28, 19 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

So you are on the hole for 20,500. You have two options

Jan 28, 19 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

you can sue and you'll lose.  going over budget and making small bathrooms aren't violations of her standard of care--if that even applies, because it sounds like she isn't licensed. 

Jan 27, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 
alex445

No she is not licensed. We know she recently passed the exams at NCARB. Does that make her a licensed architect?

Jan 27, 19 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Passing the exams alone doesn't make her licensed - but if she's passed all of them, and met the education and experience requirements for that state, then she'd be eligible to get licensed - all she'd have to do is file the appropriate application and pay fees. If she wasn't licensed when she did the work then it would be very difficult to collect anything in court. If this is a lmulti-family project it may require an architect by law, depending where it's located.

Jan 27, 19 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I am licensed in California among other states. In cA- you also have to pass the Califronia Supplemental Exam.

Jan 28, 19 12:13 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

California has some very very strict rules about calling yourself an architect if you are not licensed... if could be extremely bad news if she offeres services prematurely. what a clusterfuck...

Jan 28, 19 12:27 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

funny you never mentioned the byfold door in the mini bath. That is an odd bedroom, where do you put the bed?

Jan 27, 19 11:29 am  · 
 · 
alex445

Very odd indeed. Her plans are totally deficient. But we simply didn't know. Look, she sends us the plans by email and tells us they are great! We just didn't have the capacity or knowledge to sit down and try to imagine where the bed should go. If we had we would know v impossible to put a queen bed in this bedroom. But we didn't. We just trusted. But isn't that one hires professionals? We were stupid to trust? But then when I hire a pro aren't i entitled to trust and not have to measure everything myself? I'm speaking out loud. I am trying to figure out how much I'm to blame.

Jan 27, 19 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"We were stupid to trust?"

Yes. You decided to build a building with no knowledge of the process, no idea of what you wanted or needed, and no concept of how to get a good contractual agreement in place. You made your bed, now you're sleeping in it.

Jan 28, 19 11:51 am  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

I disagree on showing examples of "built work". Everyone needs to start from somewhere and if everyone adopted this mentality (and to some reason there are many who have), architects would take any fee (or no fee) to do a project and get it built. 

However, I definitely agree on references...

I would also definitely not give contractors too much faith as they have a conflict of interest in residential projects. They would rather shit on the architect to get the project(s) themselves. 

Jan 27, 19 11:48 am  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Rethinking my "built work" comment, and you're right. However, clients hiring a designer who (admittedly) needs to start somewhere runs a risk in exchange for the low fee and little experience.

Jan 27, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

that's why we have mentorship requirements. you can't start from nothing. you have to be able to at least show built work you did working under someone who knew what they were doing.

Jan 27, 19 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

like BB said, you're putting a lot of faith in the opinion of contractors. Sit down with an actual architect and ask their opinion. I'm not saying they didn't do a bad job, but as to the degree, I wouldn't trust the opinion of someone with conflicting interests.

Jan 27, 19 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It’s shocking to me that a person can run a business like this.  How do you sleep at night?  I would get a different architect and just cut your losses with her.  Legally, it all depends on what your contract spells out.  Did she breach the contract?  Can you prove it?  

Jan 27, 19 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

The contract is a short affair, simply stating the steps will be taken from "explore design options" to "submit drawings for plan check." It says nothing about client's needs or budget. We don't have something on paper saying what our budget was. Only hope would be to bring an expert to court to explain deficiencies and that her plan is not economically feasable for Reseda, California, and she should've known that. Does that sound like something we could argue in front of the judge?

Jan 27, 19 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Was it talked about? You should ask a lawyer, but without you stating your budget, or clarification that you want to match the cost of the surrounding construction, she doesn’t have any legal duty to do so. She is not a mind reader to be fair. Sounds like a lack of communication + an inexperienced designer. That said, she should have talked with you about costs throughout the process. I NEVER do work for clients that cannot be physically present to meet. It’s way to difficult to work remotely with clients. My last bit of advice, as a client, you need to put the time in to work with your next architect. You need to meet with them at intervals, communicate budget, needs, etc.

Jan 28, 19 10:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Vinyl windows and 6'8" doors, just to name a few, nothing lost there...but who cares about a quality project when the clients are just poor low class migrants, right? At least your architect tried to provide some quality for your future tenants, good for her!

Jan 27, 19 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

What good are plans that are not economically viable? You're suggesting architects should ignore client's budget? How would 9-foot ceilings and 7-foot doors and mitered-corner windows help "low class" (your words) immigrant tenants when project can never be built or if built they could not afford to live there anyway?

Jan 27, 19 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

You’d be surprised at how many architects have this nonsensical mindset. Thus past references from builders is a must.

Jan 28, 19 12:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, if you want horrible cheap, unsustainable cookie cutter crap to stuff as many low class migrants into your buildings as possible, should've thought about hiring someone that has experience in designing prisons.

Jan 28, 19 3:45 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

There are not enough movies about Architects. This would make an excellent script about one. Call it "Devil Wears Pella Vinyl Windows"

Unless there are code issues, just run with contractor's recommendations. Standard doors, standard windows, standard walls, etc. Issues with layouts are owner's problem. They were approved at some point I hope.

What was designed and what was eventually built is a significant process on any project. This is actually what distinguishes top and bottom tier Architects. You hired bottom tier. A lot will have to change in coming up construction administration.  

Jan 27, 19 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

the corner window in the bathroom is great. I want the whole world to look at while im pinching off a loaf.

Jan 27, 19 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Also she didn't provide any details on how to build the corner window.

Jan 27, 19 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

At your budget level windows are rarely "built" by the contractor. They're bought and installed. You whine a lot, but seem to as yet have neglected to accept your ignorance has a huge role in this story.

Jan 28, 19 11:55 am  · 
 · 
alex445

My God. I didn't realize so many people responded. I was expecting the system to send me emails when responses are posted. I apologize for late response. I'm going through responses now. Thank you. 

Jan 27, 19 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Guys- ADU's are exempt structures... No license required. However, if licensee is working in one, he must stamp all instruments of service under his responsible control, not just technical submissions,

Jan 28, 19 12:31 am  · 
 · 
alex445

Hello, this person offers to build "apartment buildings and hotels" on her website. In her portfolio, she is displaying plans for a 20-unit apartment building. Can she legally design an apartment building without a architect's license? She has an address on the plans. We checked it out on Google Maps. There's a single family home there.

Jan 28, 19 3:12 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

She can't legally submit plans for a 20-unit apartment building without a license.  Whether she can draw one is another issue: for instance If it was for a past employer, where she was supervised, then she could do so -  and if she has permission to use it as an example of her work then she can do that - though she still can't offer to provide architectural services if she's not licensed. 

But as for her business address being a single family home: that's the case for a large percentage of sole proprietors and small architecture firms. As someone who designs hotels while working from a tiny home I'd be in trouble if that was against a real rule here. You could check whether home offices are allowed by local zoning, but making a stink about that won't result in anything that will help your time or money issues.

Jan 28, 19 9:27 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Ok- yeah: she's violatiing the practice act. Report her to CAB.

Jan 28, 19 7:28 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Reporting her to CAB is a good idea, but it will just get her fined, and possibly delay her being able to get licensed in CA. The OP should understand that it won't help them with collecting anything from her - CAB doesn't adjudicate fee disputes.

Jan 28, 19 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds like she is taking her employer's work and recycling it. She should lose her job as that opens them up to liability. 

Jan 28, 19 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ding ding ding

Jan 28, 19 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

There was enough info in the thread for me to find the firm in question.  They dance around the title issues well enough on their website - she calls herself "designer", "building designer", "certified designer" (referencing an interior design certification and a foreign certification), but not "architect" or anything with "architectural" in it.  However she is offering design and permit drawings on larger projects - hotels, large apartment buildings, etc., even though she and her listed "consultants" are not licensed in CA. 

So yes, you could certainly report it to CAB.  The most likely outcome is that she'll receive a warning, and she'll revamp her website.

But looking at her website I think it should have been immediately obvious that working with this person would be risky at best.  Besides the lack of built work (there's only one photo of a real house on the site), the firm's logo and background images are clip art, the firm's name is borrowed from a Vistaprint commercial, and the captions of half the hideous 3D models on the site are "Click Here to Edit Title".  The whole "firm" looks like some fake place holder.  It's a little hard to feel bad for the client when I'd expect anyone with common sense to run from this "firm" quick!  Why did you pick her?  Did she have any references?

Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do to recoup fees or force this person to re-design for free.  There's no agreed-upon budget in writing, no contract requiring re-design, she delivered the plans and they got permitted - that's all the contract required. 

Jan 28, 19 10:04 am  · 
 · 

You'd be doing a public service by posting the link here.

Jan 28, 19 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

https://www.myatriumdesign.com/

The OP's project is on there, titled "Professional Accessory Dwelling Unit Design".

Jan 28, 19 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

great googling skills.

Jan 28, 19 10:27 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"She has obtained her Bachelor degree in Architecture, a Master's degree in Landscape Architecture, and her second Master's Degree in Interior Architecture all from well-known universities." 

You don't avoid saying the name of your alma mater if it's actually "well-known." Also those designs are.. how do I put this nicely.. Target-Brand PoMo.

Jan 28, 19 11:46 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Come on, you're not impressed with a firm that has a spacecraft propulsion scientist listed as a consultant?

Jan 28, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Pretty bad design thru and thru.  No wonder this is a extra saucy clusterfuck.

Jan 28, 19 10:27 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wait? Is that the house in question? I swear that logo is from a vista print commercial. I’m blessed with a near photographic memory despite my pot habit.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A2R4/vistaprint-business-cards-architect

Jan 28, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

The lady from that commercial is hot.

Jan 28, 19 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Yeah from the Vistaprint commercial - I'd noted that in my post above.  Some of the other images on the firm's site are just straight copied from other firms - for instance the hand reaching out with the 3D model.

Jan 28, 19 11:58 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

But they couldn't use that pesky word 'architecture' so just add 'design' instead. Good catch JLA-X . . . i knew it looked familiar.

Jan 28, 19 11:59 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

You beat me to it formerly unknown. Didn’t see that :)

Jan 28, 19 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

NS how did you find it!? Wow

Jan 28, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I posted the link to the firm's website above. I found it by googling some of the info that the OP provided - spelling mistakes and such.

Jan 28, 19 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

yep, I did not do the googlin.

Jan 28, 19 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Owner of that firm is hot too. Wow. Im guessing that is part of the reason she feels she has the right to yell at people. Attractive female privilege is a real thing.

Jan 28, 19 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

It was nice of her to include the address of the ADU

Jan 29, 19 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

wow who rips off Vista print?

Jan 28, 19 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

She's got at least two other firms, in addition the one I posted above: 

Altri Design: http://atrshana.wixsite.com/at... 

And "LA Design", which doesn't have a website but is registered at the same address.

It reminds me of contractors who keep staring new companies.  Usually it's best to avoid those unless they come with stellar references and you can visit actual examples of their work.

Jan 28, 19 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Best firms are the ones that use their real last names imo. When you put your name on something you have to own it. Jus saying

Jan 28, 19 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Everything about this screams "scam"

Jan 28, 19 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Has anyone tried getting in touch with them and confronting the fact that they have an illegal practice?

Jan 28, 19 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

As for the original poster:  seeing the renderings, the project is simple enough that you may not need this designer to do anything more.  You've already got permits, and it seems you're not that concerned with aesthetics (i.e. cost is the driving factor), so you don't necessarily need to involve a new designer either.  Any decent builder should be able to work with you to make the changes you've listed:  switch the 6'-8" doors, vinyl windows, change the one mitered corner window to a standard window in just one wall or the other, eliminate the "double wall" cladding details, and widen the bathrooms to make the toilet clearances work.  None of this should involve anything structural.  It may not add up to the substantial cost savings you're looking for though.  Some of these things just aren't that expensive (like 7' doors - that's a standard size - the price difference is fairly minimal.)

Of course, the room layouts aren't all that practical.  Also the head clearance on the stair looks iffy - I can't read the dimension in the section so can't say that it violates code, but good luck getting any large furniture to the 2nd floor. 

If you want to substantially improve the design and functionality then you need a new architect or designer.  But if you just want to cut some costs and move forward as quickly as possible, your best bet is probably just a builder who will listen to you.  Make sure you've got a good contract and that numbers are in writing this time!  Actually call their references and visit their projects.

Jan 28, 19 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I have some concerns about the contractors they've been talking with too though, or whoever is giving them cost-cutting advice. For instance why are they under the impression that 7 foot doors cost twice as much, and are custom orders? This designer sounds like a nightmare, but don't just move on to a nightmare contractor too.

Jan 28, 19 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Well, it is true 7 foot doors aren't always immediately available, in the sense that their builder probably can't pick them up on the sales floor at Home Depot. I'd grant that some advance planning would be required. As for them costing twice as much: I'd like to see what door exactly they were pricing. Usually 7-foot is about 20-25% more than 6'-8". There's some small cost savings to be had there - but it's hardly going to make or break the project.

Jan 28, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

In california, a written contract is required by law unless:

- An architect provides services to a professional engineer or licensed land surveyor.

- provides services to a repeat client where the work is very similar to work you have done previously with a signed contract.

- You have express written notice from Owner that a contract is not required

- You offer services for which no compensation will be given

Jan 28, 19 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

They have a written contract - but it doesn't contain the owner's budget.

Jan 28, 19 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I think "confusingly similar" is the key here:

1. It is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment, for any person who is not licensed to practice architecture under this chapter to practice architecture in this state, to use any term confusingly similar to the word architect, to use the stamp of a licensed architect, as provided in Section 5536.1, or to advertise or put out any sign, card, or other device that might indicate to the public that he or she is an architect, that he or she is qualified to engage in the practice of architecture, or that he or she is an architectural designer.

Jan 28, 19 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

CAB will definitely tell her to stop using business cards with "architectural" on them, and stop advertising hotel and apartment building design. They may fine her, maybe $500, $1000, $5000 if she's obnoxious. If she really makes somebody at the state angry they might put one of those 3-year blackouts on any license application she files. That will help protect the public, but won't do much for the OP though except maybe make them feel like they got some retribution.

Jan 28, 19 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

She markets herself as a "building designer" which is confusing similar per CAB...

https://www.homeadvisor.com/rated.AtriumDesign.64175677.html

Jan 28, 19 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

This is really easy, and doesn't need her business card or her side of the story. Her website states "Atrium Design offers high-quality building design services for clients who want to construct a new home, apartment, hotel, or any other type of property." That's an offer to provide services that she's not allowed to provide without a license. It doesn't matter what she calls herself.

Jan 28, 19 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Rick B- good luck with that argument...

Jan 28, 19 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

No- what I meant was that your argument of calling yourself a building designer is DIFFERENT from calling yourself an architectural designer. That argument is bullshit and you know it.  The term "building designer" is confusing similar" to architectural designer, and therefore using that title is in violation of the CA practice act.

Jan 28, 19 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Leave the John Cage of architecture alone!!1!! Her "Click here to edit title." are my favourite projects...

Jan 28, 19 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If I'd run across that firm's website without knowing this client's whole backstory, I'd totally think it was fake.  The obvious stock images, the Vistaprint rip-off, the first house project that looks like a lego-inspired burger joint...  I would so believe it was a great spoof.  Maybe it is, and the disgruntled client who wants vinyl windows is part of the brilliance. 

Jan 28, 19 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Dick Busch Architects has some competition!

Jan 28, 19 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

If you think about it...

Jan 28, 19 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Genius!

Jan 29, 19 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Hello, I'm the person who started this forum post. I was shocked this morning that someone managed to find this "architect's" website. When I posted I just wanted advice and purposefully did not disclose her name. But the cat's out of the bag and really don't know where this will lead. This is someone that twice tried to throw my wife and I out of her office at the mere suggestion of criticism.

I want to thank all of you wonderful disciplined architects. You take your business seriously and restored my faith in your profession. You've confirmed that my wife and I are not losing our minds, that drawing a bedroom like you see in the picture I posted is NOT good work and we have reason to ask for remediation and should not be yelled at or told pay $150/hr to fix things. 

To those who blame us, the clients, for hiring this woman, you have reason. Her website is ridiculous. We didn't ask for any reference. A check of the California Architects Board would have shown she is not licensed. A check of her facebook page would have relieved she had started her firm just a year earlier and the only mention of other job on her Linked-in page is a 7-month stint at another firm. 

Last January we were days away from having to go overseas for several months, and we just believed her representing her herself as a "architectural designer" (on her business card) and her promises to give us great work and have the permit done within a few months, while we were away. We thought we were lucky to have found someone doing work while we were away, not realizing design work requires close thoughtful work with clients, not just email the client a floor plan and a 3D exterior drawing and then begin the city permitting process. 

Nearly a year later (she took 10 months instead of 5 months promised originally), I've gained enough experience to write a small book about 1. what careless fools we were and 2. all the stress we've been exposed to and 3. the many things a client should check out before hiring. For something that ultimately will cost hundreds of thousands, why would you not even demand references? I ask myself over and over. I read a dozen reviews when buying a faucet on Amazon! Why would I not do at least that much with a project costing thousands of times more? 

But that does not excuse what this person has done: 1. Misrepresent herself as an architect. 2. totally ignore our budget and designing something incongruous with our budget, purpose and location of the project, 3. Hand us deficient plans that lack many measurements and references, filled with pages of detail that have nothing to do with our project, 2x6 construction and double walls that have no place in our humble neighborhood, dozens of non-standard doors and windows and insanely expensive steel canopies that would balloon our project by tens of thousands, bedrooms that can't even hold a queen size bed, three 5x5-foot 3/4 bathrooms that can accommodate only skinny people, missing drains and slopes, erroneous door and window schedules. The list goes on. When I was hopeful she would see light of the day, I sent her 11 emails reporting feedback from consultants we visited.

But all of the above could have been fixed if this person simply accepted the obvious facts, listened to the professionals we've consulted with (including a licensed architect and the city's own plan checker) and corrected her errors.  

What has dragged this out this far - and this applies to every professional dealing with the public - were the bizarre denials and insolence and anger we were subjected to. Instead of welcoming valuable feedback this early in her career, she first ignored us, then told us this is just industry badmouthing, then told us to get lost, claiming she can't tolerate "insults" (she meant the slightest insinuation of any wrongdoing), and then finally, after seven weeks of chasing her, she agrees to correct some items (but not others) in return for thousands of dollars more money and then send us out on our own to find a structural engineer and to the city plan checker. 

My wife, a lawyer licensed in another country and a master of negotiations, and I still don't understand the denials and insolence. I stopped contacting her because she said my emails tortured her. "I'm a designer, not her to read emails all day," she screamed at my wife over the phone. My wife instead tried to negotiate with her in her native  language. But last Friday I realized this is taking a huge toll on my wife, who feels awful for having made the introduction a year ago. She arrived home after after enduring another avalanche of insults at the architect's office. One of her latest excuses is that my wife is ignorant because she is a recent immigrant and doesn't speak English well.

This is what brought me to this forum. Every consultant we've seen in person, has told us to either sue or abandon everything and start anew. I came to this forum for advice on other options. But how do you get someone to do the right thing without the enforcement of law? I don't want a court case. I just want my crappy plans corrected and build asap. 

Jan 28, 19 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I honestly have nothing constructive to add as I don't deal with residential clients nor am I licensed in the USA, but I do need to say that this discussion has been the best and most educational thing in the forum for a long time. Sucks that this lesson has cost and drained so much. I've mentioned it a few times here before, but there was a time in my very early career where the office I worked in mostly survived on clients like you... people who hired sub-par draftsman and found out quickly that they could not get permits with the products they paid for. You learn very quickly about the "weekend warrior" type designers and certainly does not make me miss residential work. Thanks for sharing. We could put this person's office's email on a bunch of spam lists... it is the internet afterall. 8-)

Jan 28, 19 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Non Sequitur, thank you for your kind words. I am a firm believer that transparency and asking for help, helps both the person who asks for help and the person who helps. This is one of the wonderful things about the American culture, being able to freely speak your mind and ask for advice and feedback and admit one's mistakes, without the fear of being looked down upon. Desperation drove me to this forum and I'm glad if it helped others.

Jan 28, 19 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

RickB-Astoria, the episodes that caused her eruptions: as I wrote earlier the drama is mysterious to me, coming from a culture where customer service is paramount, and my wife, who comes from a culture were negotiation and compromise are skillfully sought and prized. 

Jan 28, 19 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

I'm going through all the posts about whether an unlicensed architect can legally call herself an "architectural designer" (on her business card). 

So I called the California Architects Board. I was told in no uncertain terms that this is not lawful. "You can't use the 'a word' anywhere ever," I was told by a helpful person, probably the most unharried and patient state employee I've ever spoken to. The law: https://www.cab.ca.gov/act/bpc...

Designing small residential projects, like ours, is permitted by an unlicensed person. But it is illegal for this person to solicit design of apartments and hotels, like our architect is advertising on her website. 

I was encouraged to immediately file a complaint https://www.cab.ca.gov/docs/fo...

Jan 28, 19 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

as you should file one.

Jan 28, 19 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Rick- NO YOU CANNOT CALL YOURSELF A BUILDING DESIGNER IN CALIFORNIA.... IT IS DECEPTIVE AND "CONFUSINGLY SIMILAR" TO ARCHITECTURAL DESIGNER. Stop saying that you can call yourself a building designer in California. You are wrong and are giving people false information.

Jan 28, 19 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

To the OP: the cost of starting over with a real architect will be less than the cost of building out this half-baked piece of crap. You're trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Aside from that, every time you look at the building you're going to be reminded of this lousy experience. Better to flush twice and begin anew.

Get some architect referrals from contractors (and vice versa). Check references, look at the work. Talk to the clients. Walk through construction sites in progress - are they clean and organized, are the workers happy and engaged? Quiet observation can tell you a lot. When you feel comfortable, move forward. You will have a much better result. 

In the meantime file your complaint, document it, and use it in small claims. Lucky for you the limit us $10k - here in NY it's a worthless $3k.

Jan 28, 19 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

( o Y o ). Thank you for your comments. I agree with "trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit" and the building of course will remind me of this unforgettable episode. 

But please note what others have pointed out that perhaps lawsuit won't be successful because contract terms was fulfilled. She did get a permit from the city (although the plan checker who stamped the plans now admits "these are no well-referenced plans and need to be correct." Thank you. Now you notice???) My budget or specs were not in the contract.  Plus I've already paid the city $10k on permitting fees.

Jan 28, 19 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

There's a lot discussion and better to start new comment to address them:

About contract, yes, I signed a contract as I wrote earlier, it is a simple affair, 4 pages, saying the firm "will provide building design, drafting and permit expediting services for:" and then she wrote by hand: "(new) accessory dwelling unit up to 1200 so ft." 

Now I know I should have demanded much more detail. One of the demands, I now realize, should have been a mention of my budget. Isn't that reasonable. I gave a budget verbally before signing, saying this is what I'm shooting for. She didn't say it was too low. Her design is pricing out at nearly double my budget. Now she says 1. costs have risen tremendously in the year since 2. the budget is not her concern, that "I'm a designer, not contractor." 3. I didn't speak to credible contractors. She then picked up the phone and called a contractor she knows and asked him how much per sf to build a 1200 sf ADU. She put him on speakerphone. He gave a low price but he had no idea about the mitered window, the steel canopies, 9-foot ceilings, non-standard windows and doors, the roof with long windows in the back, etc. Then she hangs up and says, "see I told you. Your contractor doesn't know anything." 

But people we've spoken with say architect should design to budget. What is the value of a design that is not economically possible? One consultant told us he always prices out his designs BEFORE starting the permitting process. 

Am I wrong to expect design congruous with my budget?

Also another consultant said her design is a mismatch to the existing two buildings on the property (4-bdrm front house and a rear 600 sf guesthouse), both of which he called "traditional" designs. It's the architect's job to guide the client to something that is harmonious with the existing infrastructure and neighborhood. "You have two very ordinary buildings and then suddenly you spend all this money to put something that belongs in Santa Monica in the back of your property, that no one even sees. It doesn't make sense," he said.  

Jan 28, 19 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Something else about the contract: there is no place for her signature. Just a place for my signature. Is that kosher? 

We never got a copy of our signed contract. She gave us a copy without my signature. Another puzzle. 

Also the last page of the contract says: 

COMPLETION OF THE PROJECT:

This project is completely done by "[firm's name]", and the client is completely satisfied with the services received for this project.

Client name: _________________ Signature - Date ____________

Since I never got a copy of the signed contract, I have no idea if I could've signed this also or not. 

I know, I am an idiot. 

Jan 28, 19 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

To the original poster:  if you're uncomfortable that the designer was identified, you can email the site's administrators and ask them to remove the thread.   From what you've told us, she's already threatened to sue you, and she's very temperamental. 

The website is hilarious and all, but it might not be great if the designer does find this thread and your comments about her.

The whole thing has eerie similarities to the legendary "California Intern" who plagued the AIA's old "e-architect" forum.  It's definitely not the same person - that one became a high school teacher after she sabotaged her architecture career - but they have similar design leanings, and from the sound of it the same volatility.  There's a cautionary tale in there though: "California Intern" escalated scarily, to having to be removed from an AIA meeting for threatening, and to posting fantasies (we think) of gun violence against her AIA chapter's then-president, clients, and former professors.  As entertaining as this thread has been, it might not be worth having to look over your shoulder all the time for vengeful designers.  

Jan 28, 19 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good thing it's archived for future reference.

Jan 28, 19 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I find her website inspiring in its inventive appropriation. It never occurred to me to put my spouse-who works-in-an-unrelated-profession on the "Team" page of my architecture firm's site. If she can put her husband the rocket fuel guy as a consultant then surely I can put my film-professor-life-partner as my "visualization specialist" or something!

Jan 28, 19 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Don't forget the dog, the gardener, and Alexa. That's a team!

Jan 29, 19 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

bwahaha. I'm getting some black glasses to put on Alexa tonight for her head shot.

Jan 29, 19 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
proto

wow...just wow

OP, i'm sorry you had to go through this

Jan 29, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy for the client here, because it's a classic you get what you pay for scenario. He paid 7k - any way you figure it that's a fee south of 5% of construction cost. Sure there are some architects who go that low for something like a Dunkin' Donuts, where one is the same as the next and all they have to do is make sure it meets their state code's minor idiosyncracies - but for residential design with an inexperienced client that's way, way into ultra bottom feeder depths.  These clients cheaped out big time and now they're whining because they're going to end up having to pay to have someone competent what they're worth, to clean up the mess.  That's not sad, it's just predictable.

Jan 29, 19 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I'm not defending the bad designer. I'm saying that anybody who offers to do the project for less than half what it would typically cost should send up red flags all over the place. Nobody competent and experienced would do that project for that fee - unless maybe it was a favor for a relative or something. The owner was cutting big corners. It's like people who drive around obvious gates and get squashed by trains. Boohoo.

Jan 29, 19 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

Jan 30, 19 3:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes, but a true (licensed) professional will not take on certain jobs when the pay is substandard and the equivalent of peanuts So, as a client you're stuck with the substandard "professionals" if all you are willing to pay is peanuts.

Jan 30, 19 4:20 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"A true professional (regardless of licensure status) will not or at least should not customarily take on certain jobs when the pay is substandard and is essentially equivalent of peanuts."

A professional simply won't take such a peanut job.

"We must assume for the most part that any prospective client isn't going to know what the standard pay is."

They (should) know, hiding behind ignorance is no excuse. What do they get paid in order to earn the money for them to go into investing in properties to house poor migrants in substandard housing in the first place? Maybe they have a peanut business.

Jan 30, 19 9:04 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Most people do a little research when they're looking for professional services of any kind: talk to others about their experiences and to ask if they can recommend someone, educate themselves a bit on the type of projects, etc. Meet with a few professionals. Check their references. Check out their past projects.
Reading the OP's complaints about things like the style of the design, it seems like they never even looked at her work or her website.

Jan 30, 19 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

A client is ALWAYS entitled professional competent delivery of services NO matter what the price is in ANY OCCUPATION.... PERIOD! NO EXCEPTIONS.

That's pretty hypocritical coming from you Rick. Go back and visit your theater thread(s) - compare this philosophy to your excuses about the health/safety/welfare violations design there:  high cost of UL manuals, client's tiny budget; ignorance of how to use a tape measure...

Jan 30, 19 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

So when does this cross the line into doxing, folks?

Jan 30, 19 10:57 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

I flagged the post and I think it was removed. For a bit it seemed like we were heading into 4chan territory...

Jan 30, 19 11:42 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Who is doxing who?

Jan 30, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What was removed? This thread is still here...and so are the links.

Jan 30, 19 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Someone posted an NCARB Record page (the ARE status page) of a woman with the caption of "is this the person?". The image indicated that the poster had logged onto the NCARB account. So either the poster was outing herself or there was some fishiness.

Jan 30, 19 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Hard to say without knowing what was removed. Anything currently visible doesn't cross that line, because all the info that's been shared is from the designer's public marketing presence.

Jan 30, 19 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

She posted a screenshot of her NCARB record on her own facebook page, in a post set to public visibility.  I'd say that's not doxxing.

Jan 30, 19 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Ya know, in this day and age, I shouldn't be surprised that no one cares about privacy, but dang.

Jan 30, 19 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I think they mean somebody posted the NCARB record here in this thread - so they assumed that somebody had gotten into the designer's NCARB account. But the designer has the screen shot of her NCARB record posted publicly on her fb page. So, no real fishiness there.

Jan 30, 19 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Yep yep, as Spontaneous mentioned above. I was quick to think someone was actively trying to doxx the designer. It didn't occur to me that she would post her NCARB profile photo to her Facebook page...

Jan 30, 19 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Things posted here all seem fair. The initial identification of the designer seems to have been possible because of criticisms that the OP related about her website (phrases containing specific spelling errors). If you post something on your firm's website, it's not unreasonable to think that others might share info and opinions about it. Maybe the lesson there is that spelling actually matters.

I do kind wonder whether it would be doing a service to let this designer know about the thread. Maybe at least she'd make some changes to her site before Vistaprint and/or CAB descend on her.

Jan 30, 19 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Hi Rick, I appreciate the lesson from on high but fear not, this internet denizen is well-versed in the ways of the internet.

Jan 30, 19 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I was concerned that a line was being approached that shouldn't be crossed. I also don't believe anything freely posted by the individual on the public web is on the other side of that line.

Jan 30, 19 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Well I’m guess she is actually licensed... what do you do now?

Jan 30, 19 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

She isn't licensed. She finished the ARE less than 2 weeks ago, and said on facebook that she's going to start studying for the CSE next.

Jan 30, 19 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
alex445

Hello, I'm updating the forum with the latest on our case with Atrshane Alimohammdi (a.k.a. Audrey Atrshan Alimo) of Atrium Design. We tried again to get her to correct her plans but she refused without getting paid another $2550 and that's just for the corrections. She refused to get us the necessary supplemental permit. We would have been on our own going to the city for the permit.

Her father, who goes to the same school as my wife, offered to mediate. My wife went to her office on the promise that the issue would be resolved the same day. Alimohammadi showed up an hour late and immediately announced that everyone, including her father, had to leave because "you need an appointment to speak to me" and refused to return the copy of the plans she had borrowed from us earlier to make the corrections.

Our very last conversation was unforgettable. She argued on the phone for an hour claiming all along she knew the 5x5-foot bathrooms or the misconfigured bedroom (I posted with my original post) didn't make sense and now if we really want to see her expertise, we should pony up for a new floorplan. She told us she's recording the call. Apparently, she doesn't know about California's two party consent law against secretly recording calls. 

We spoke to construction attorney, whose comments reflected some of the advice I got in this forum:

1. it would be insane to pay her more money after all we've been through, 14 months after we hired her.

2. The person who does the corrections needs to take responsibility for getting the supplemental permit, otherwise impossible to correctly answer city officials’ questions.

3. An experienced architect needs to take over the project and we should stop losing time trying to work with Alimohammadi, considering that our permit expires in a couple of months.

We are pretty drained. Here's a HomeAdvisor.com review on how the stress has affected us. https://www.homeadvisor.com/ra...

But we're also relieved that despite the loss of money and time, at least we don't have to deal with Alimohammadi anymore.

We filed a CAB complaint and they confirmed that an unlicensed person cannot use the title of "architectural designer".

Next challenge is to find a new architect to do the corrections. That might be a challenge because apparently some don't want to deal with flawed work of someone else. And it has to be someone skilled in dealing with the city's bureaucracy - or we've been told.

The plan is here: https://drive.google.com/file/...

I could really use the forum's advice: 

We don't have the CAD files, of course. Just PDFs. Can anyone tell me how many hours of work it would take to rebuild the plans? I'm wondering which pages have to be redone. 

As written before, we want to  

1. change ceiling heights to 8-foot from the current 9-foot. 

2. Get rid of the double walls.

3. Replace all the non-standard windows (which are almost all the windows) with standard store-bought windows. Replace 7-foot doors with standard 6'8". Replace all those fancy exterior sliding doors with standard ones. 

4. change the floor plan to have fewer and larger bathrooms. 

5. Get rid of the avalanche of superfluous detail. No our project does not have firewalls or a garage! And figure out which detail actually belongs to our project.  That might be a challenge. 

6. Add references so the contractors can tell which wall or floor detail are to be used.

Or at least these are the issues we see so far. 

(Another issue we might face is the engineering drawings, yes, drawn by hand! She hired him with blank checks we gave her. Contractors say they can't find sufficient foundation detail and it is unnecessarily over built.) 

I fully remember forum posts advising me to abandon the entire thing and start from scratch. We've spent at least $11,000 on city fees. Attorney says the only thing we could get back is the school fee of $5,300. 

But money aside, our time is limited because of family responsibilities that await us overseas. We need to build quickly to get on with our lives. Alimohammadi promised 5 but took 11 months to get our permit. But I'm guessing even a competent person would require at least 6 months.  

Mar 19, 19 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You got scammed and it sucks... but for fuck's sake, look through your city's residential architect directory and hire a real professional and get something you want instead of salvaging this travesty. Those drawings are worth jack-shit (I'm being as nice as I can, honestly) and would need to be redone, likely at a cost higher than you've already tossed into this hole. Also, lawyer up and bring this fraud to court.

Mar 19, 19 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

You gave her blank checks?! 

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Don't try to get someone to 'fix' the disaster, abandon it and move on. This is a simple project that has been made needlessly complex and expensive - without considering the difficulties you've been put through. 

Hire a pro. Iit's going to cost time and money but in the end you will save a bundle and eliminate the headache. Never hire without references. Talk to builders and interview architects they like - this is not about fancy design but rather about getting a competent professional who will efficiently guide you through the process. 

You should indeed file a complaint about your "architect" with the state board, if for no other reason than to try to protect others from such abuses. The money isn't enough to lawyer up over as the fees will likely be more than the disputed amount, although small claims remains an option. Also consider the stress of prolonging your engagement in this mess, and consider yourself lucky that you didn't get in any deeper. 

Apparently you are not from around here (U$A).

Mar 19, 19 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

There seem to be a lot of these seemingly confident but unscrupulous, unqualified hacks out there.  I always figured it's because they work cheap.  I guess sometimes it's because they know how to find trusting novice-clients who don't know when they're getting bamboozled for real money.

Mar 20, 19 2:54 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The person the OP hired, whether licensed or not, is obviously unqualified to make changes and appears to be mentally unstable. If the contractor is a good one ask him for a reference of an architect he has worked with before and one that could determine if what he has now is salvageable or not. If the OP keeps going back to this woman any major flaws that do slip by, whether money or safety-related, are on his head now. 

Mar 20, 19 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

You've gotten plenty of solid answers all through this thread already about which of the items on your list really matter for permitting and construction purposes and which don't.  For anything further you need to stop asking here for free advice - you need to take your project to a new architect (check references and their history of built work this time!!!!!) and ask all these questions of them, 

Yes, a reputable, competent architect is almost certainly going to want to start from scratch.  Their license depends on it.  In CA an architect can't stamp drawings for which they weren't in responsible control of production - and even if they could, nobody's going to want to start with this hack designer's drawings anyway.  A very ballpark reasonable figure for design fees for a reputable, licensed architect on a new residential project is anywhere from 7 to 12 percent of construction cost.  If someone is significantly lower, as was the case here, you must ask yourself why in this market would they take on your project for peanuts?  Usually it's because they're inexperienced and hungry for first built projects for their portfolios.  Don't go down that road twice.

Mar 20, 19 9:29 am  · 
 · 
randomised

What are trying to get out of your update, that someone here feels sorry enough to fix the mess someone else put you in? Architecture is costly for a good reason, it takes time and dedication from both client and architect. You've found out the hard way that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. And lots of peanuts add up in the end too. 

Mar 20, 19 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Early on it seemed you were in a bad situation, looking for advice.  We gave plenty of that.  Now you've got a lawyer involved, and you understand you need a new architect.  The rest of the issues are for the new architect - they're beyond the free advice realm, because they involve becoming familiar with the actual project, and making professional recommendations about it.  That's the practice of architecture - for which you need to pay the new architect.

I get the feeling that your continued posts at this point are partly intended to shame the designer (because you're using her full names), and warn others.  You've already done that sufficiently, by posting reviews of her elsewhere, where potential clients would be more likely to look.  You've also reported her to the board, and you've involved a lawyer.  That's all fair and due diligence - but some of what you've described seems to go beyond that.  For example: involving her father, to mediate??? Completely inappropriate.  She had every right to refuse to participate in that meeting.  Be careful not to tread into harassment territory.  At this point your best course of action is not to continue dragging things out with her - it's clear that's not going to be useful to you.  Cut ties with her.  Let your attorney handle any attempts at recovering anything from her, if that's even worth attempting.  Move on with someone with the requisite experience for this type of project.

Mar 20, 19 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

"RickB-Astoria is ignored by you"

Mar 20, 19 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I notice she has taken the references to designing hotels and other commercial projects off her website, and removed some projects and all of her strange collection of "consultants" except her husband.  That would seem to indicate that she's aware of your complaints to the board - and perhaps so are those consultants, who may no longer wish to be associated with her firm.    In that sense you've helped others from going through the same experience on some even larger projects - hopefully that's some consolation.  Best of luck with a more professional designer moving forward.

Mar 20, 19 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Looks like her site's down completely now. Probably for the best - I still can't get over how anyone could just lift their firm name and logo right off a VistaPrint commercial. Time for some reinvention...

Mar 20, 19 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: