Archinect
anchor

Uninspired

dabear

I'm an architect about six years into the profession. Worked at a few firms and licensed last year. Ever since I got into the profession I've been working hard to advance myself towards a role where I could be doing more design eventually. I'm at the point now where I have enough experience that I'm finally out of a purely production role, but I'm already feeling totally burnt out. I feel like it's pretty early in my career to be saying this but the truth is within a couple of months the other shoe has just totally dropped and I don't even enjoy designing anymore. I used to come home after a long day and work on competitions and personal projects, but all my motivation to make good architecture and perfect my craft is just completely gone. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Is it just a routine outcome of the way the practice brutalizes us? Will it pass or should I just resign myself to being a technical person or manager for the rest of my career, or alternatively, just find a career that offers a better work life balance? Architecture demands so much of us that I find it hard to rationalize sticking it out if the will to actually make good architecture is not there.

Jan 13, 19 8:09 pm

3 Featured Comments

All 14 Comments

geezertect

Jackson Browne sums thing up:

Jan 13, 19 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

be like John Portman....

"Mr. Portman doesn't need inspiration."

Jan 13, 19 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I feel exactly the same way. I'm about 8 years in and trying to sustain any sort of passion for the industry (and it's exactly that, an industry).

One idea I've used in the past is to start a challenge for yourself at work, that hopefully can be leveraged in to a possible raise or new position. Learn a New software that nobody in your office knows; become an expert in energy modeling; sign up for a beginner's management course, etc etc.

It sounds trite but the reality for most of us is that we have to work - you may as well make it interesting, because that's not your employer's job. 

Jan 13, 19 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
geezertect

It's pretty normal for most people in any occupation.  Thirty is about the age that youthful dreams start to die, but nothing is on the horizon to take their place.  Maybe you're just in a temporary slump.  If you can't see any role in the profession that would turn you on, it may be time to contemplate a change.  There isn't much to keep you in architecture if you fall permanently out of love with it.  Career counseling or tests may help.  You're not alone.

Jan 14, 19 7:43 am  · 
 · 
dabear

I appreciate that, geezertect. Sometimes it is good just to know that your are not alone, crazy, etc. I have definitely contemplated change in the past - maybe even something more regular, more stable, that would allow me more time out of work to nurture that side of me that feels unfulfilled.

Jan 15, 19 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Coming home and continuing to work sounds like a recipe for burn out. It’s okay and good to have other interests or even just take time to relax. 

Jan 14, 19 7:53 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This is a great point. Unless it's sketching up a renovation for my own home, I don't work on architecture outside of the office. There's a million other things I'd rather be doing (ie unrelated hobbies). When somebody tells me that they don't have a hobby, I worry about them. Everybody should have more than one.

Jan 14, 19 9:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Make yourself a (bunch of) kid(s), you'll love the peace and quiet of your office job in no time ;-)

Jan 14, 19 7:59 am  · 
 · 
poop876

haha, so true!

Jan 14, 19 9:58 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol!!!

Jan 14, 19 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yyyyyyyyyyyup.

Jan 14, 19 10:16 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

bingo!

Jan 14, 19 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Lmao! So true!

Jan 15, 19 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I feel the exact same way.  I've been working for almost 6 years and most days feel like I'd rather be doing anything else than this.  So far, the way I've gotten through it is to take up outside hobbies during non-work hours.  During work hours, I look for opportunities to challenge myself like teaching myself Dynamo and further developing the in-office lunch and learn program.  Definitely see if you can talk to your boss about learning opportunities - is there a different team you'd like to work with in your office or goal you can set for yourself that will fill a gap in your knowledge?  For me, I am with a set team -  which I like - but it means there are certain people in upper management I don't get to work with.  I recently had a conversation with one of the partners I'd really like to learn from, and asked him if he had time/interest to oversee our team for one or two specific projects that are in predesign.  He said he would be happy to help.

Jan 14, 19 10:53 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I got very enthusiastic when I read 'further developing the in-office lunch'

Jan 14, 19 11:46 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I would too except partners have made it BYOL :(

Jan 14, 19 11:48 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah that sucks, at a previous job there was a great kitchen where I prepared some killer lunches (pre-crisis they even had a chef on the payroll).

Jan 14, 19 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Welcome to the reality of the profession that architecture school failed to expose you to and prepare you for. 

“Design” is a small part of what we do. You may think you can maximize your design time by having your own firm but then you are doing everything (solo practice) or managing everything (larger firm). 

Attitude is everything. Ego just gets in the way. Whether your cup is half-empty or half-full is up to you. If you don’t take pride in your work you will fail no matter what you do.

You’re licensed, employed, and crying because you’re moving up, out of the production role? Stop whining and take a good look at yourself.  

Jan 14, 19 10:57 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I think the feeling is more that there is no concrete goal to work towards which can leave you feeling a little lost. Before now, it was school, then grad school, then license. But after you check all of the boxes, then what? It's a bit more 'create-your-own-adventure' with no one giving you specific guidelines as to what you need to do to be in the profession.

Jan 14, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^Exactly! just like life, there's no instructions book, shouldn't be either. But, I can tell you this, if you live your life to "check all the boxes" it will be boring. What's the goal of living?

Jan 14, 19 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

JLC-1, good point! The more I think about it, the more I think it's a shift in mentality. "Checking all of the boxes" was just a means of entry into the profession. But now, with licensure, you're legally 'in' and can spend more time pursuing opportunities that help you develop as a professional that can do the job that interests you. For me that is mostly construction administration and QC.

Jan 14, 19 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

It's a team sport, there are many positions to play. If you want to have your own team and be any good you need to have played them all.

Jan 14, 19 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Invent more boxes to check.

Jan 16, 19 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Reality has shown that it will never meet your expectations. The consequence of making architecture the basis of who you are as a person. The realization that it's 'just another job' is creating a crisis of confidence. Find other hobbies and interests, lovers to fill the void.

Or trip over 10 million dollars and start your own vanity practice.

Jan 14, 19 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
dabear

That is really excellent insight.

Jan 15, 19 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
TIQM

Honestly... if you are going to feel fulfilled being an architect, you most likely will need to find gratification in other aspects of the business of architecture beyond design

I love design first and foremost, and I think our office is really a design-first culture. But seriously, design is at most 20% of what I do every day.  The rest is running a business, marketing, working through the technical aspects of buildings, and dealing with people, internally and externally.  I have created space in my professional world to teach and to write.  I have learned to find gratification in all of those things.  If I hadn't, I could never have lasted as an architect.

My advice is to find some aspect of the business of architecture that you love other than design, and nurture that while you are proving yourself as a designer.

Jan 14, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
homme_du_jura

I couldn't agree more with Erik Evens' comment. I'm a senior designer for a large corporate firm, and I can confirm that real 'design' is a relatively small part of what we do day to day.  Rather, we are involved in delivering design services to our clients, which entails coordination with engineers, municipal planning and permitting agencies, administration over the construction process, dealing with contractors, engaging product vendors, producing a graphic manual for construction, and finally, "designing" where we generate a workable formal strategy that provides for the agreed program and budget.  The bulk of 'design' as architecture students understand it takes place in the concept design phase, which is only 5-10% of the entire duration of the architectural phase of a project (not counting construction).  Most of an architecture firm's income comes from fees collected for project documentation and administration, not concept design and renderings. When deciding on which projects to embark on, firm leaders prefer those where the potential for the biggest fees, not the those that would make the coolest-looking design packages.  

Given this reality, project teams must consist of different role players, with each individual bringing value to all the specialized tasks asked of us, but each limiting us significantly how much we can influence things outside of what we're expected to do.  We come around to the realization that our jobs are too narrow to define who we really are or want to become.

You are much more than your job, and fortunately there are many outlets for you to find satisfaction. Exercise your role in the family, in the community, both as citizen and maybe as a religious follower, as a mentor to younger people, as a teacher, or as a professional willing to making impact on people outside your industry. If you are the creative type, find new outlets of self-expression, especially in forms that can be easily shared with any person: draw, paint, take photographs, play music or sing, cook, write articles or essays, or, heck, create your own YouTube channel. You'd be surprised (or not) how much developing an outside expertise in something makes you a better designer, and it makes you a more fulfilled and well-adjusted person as well.  Everybody loves a beautiful picture, music performed in person, a gourmet meal made with love, a  thought-provoking essay or an intriguing video.  Very few people (I'm talking about non-architects) can appreciate esoteric design competition proposals, since it's obvious that there's nothing in it for them.

Better yet, if you are the social type, get into business development. Join real-estate associations and non-profit boards, or anything that gets your name outside the architect bubble. Bringing in new projects to your firm is the guaranteed way to rise to the top.  It can be time-consuming, but for some people wine and dining is more enjoyable to designing the ultimate doghouse for the future alone at home.

Jan 14, 19 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I've found that networking activities helps me feel a little more engaged and well-rounded professionally (being involved in civic and regional/national orgs) - but my personal non-arch hobbies are good distractions if I'm having a rough week and need to completely unplug from architecture, so to speak. It's good to take a break.

For me, the outdoor active stuff is by far the most reinvigorating.  If I can get in several hours outside on the weekends I feel pretty good heading back into Monday.  Also getting sleep helps.

Jan 15, 19 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
loribo

I have felt the same way too and have bounced between one job after the other, but nothing has changed. Do you want to start your own practice? 

Jan 16, 19 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

The only thing that worked for me after 5 years feeling the same was to take a long, long break. 

While working full time at a firm I took web design & coding classes and started doing interior photography on the side. All with the goal of being able to have at least some kind of income while taking an extended break. 

Luckily, my partner was offered a new job (in Rwanda) that allowed us to live off one income for the year we spent there. I used that time to de-stress from my former job, dabbled and doodled and rustled up paid work from friends and family doing everything EXCEPT landscape architecture. I photographed vegan nail polish & handmade leather bags, shot airbnb photos, made websites for local businesses and did some small graphic projects.  

I too love design but what you do at a firm after a few years ain't design. Even when I had the opportunity to design I found myself feeling so dejected and burnt out that I couldn't muster up the energy to really practice it. 

I've found that taking on smaller photography projects, graphic & web design really fit my desire to practice design but not commit to the long term stress of a big public realm project. 

After a year off landscape architecture I started reaching out to my former colleagues & contacts to see if they knew of any projects I could help out remotely on - in any capacity. I ended up with more chances to work on interesting projects in a consulting/visualization role over the next year than I could possibly take on. I'm able to say no to things I don't like and having control over my own time means I never feel that sense of helplessness and hopelessness I used to feel going to work every day.

Hope you find a way back to design - but consider that it might not be architecture for a while :)

Jan 16, 19 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: