Archinect
anchor

Licenses and Insurance

ennisdavis

So most of the firms I have worked for only the owners of the firm could actually sign the drawings. They said it had to do with insurance and liability. I work for a firm now that other architects can sign and seal drawings other then the owners. Do they have to be named on an insurance policy to cover themselves, how does that work. And if the first scenario is more common, whats the point of getting a license if you always work for someone else?

Jan 11, 19 10:02 pm
Non Sequitur

Yes, an office can have several licensed architects with their own stamps.  They all fall under the same insurance policy but one would be a fool to stamp a drawing if they don't also have a stake in the company and its profits.

As for the point of the license, well... I'll let you figure that one by yourself.

Jan 11, 19 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Well I don’t have stake in its profits that’s for sure!

Jan 12, 19 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

whats the point of getting a license if you always work for someone else

That's the whole point, dumbass! If you have a license, you don't have to work for anyone else! You can look for your own clients and be your own boss!

Jan 11, 19 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Now that we can't use intern anymore since kids demand the architect title immediately after successfully not flunky arch-school... it's only a matter of time until they start asking for a stamp just to feel better about themselves or to talk-up folks at cocktail parties. It'll happen.

Jan 11, 19 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Read a book called "Mastery" by Robert Green. All "masters" in any discipline or field, have always gone through an apprenticeship period that lasted a minimum of 10 years.

Jan 11, 19 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: